[Fredslist] The American Lawyer quotes Phyllis Weiss Haserot

Phyllis Weiss Haserot pwhaserot at pdcounsel.com
Thu Dec 6 23:35:25 EST 2007

For firm management, lawyers, lapsed lawyers, and other professionals interested in succession/transitioning planning in advance of retirement from the firm:

Phyllis Weiss Haserot, president of Practice Development Counsel (and member of the Marketing and Communications Group) and her firm are featured in the Managing Partners Survey current issue (Dec. 2007) of The American Lawyer in an article titled "Gray Matters.".

Points we made in the article on how to do it right:
*  Transitions should be planned and gradual
*  Communicate early and often within the firm and to clients
*  Managing partners and Chairs dread uncomfortable retirement-related conversations with senior partners
*  People must deal with the fear of loss of professional identity
*  Start conversations and transitioning preparation early - at least 5 years in advance to prepare the next generation to step up
*  Hold workshops and group meetings for support and so no one feels singled out

It's a very good article, worth reading if you are interested in the subject. (I and my partner are quoted on the last page.)

Best holiday wishes,
Phyllis

Phyllis Weiss Haserot
Practice Development Counsel
Consulting/Coach to the Next Generation
Author of "The Rainmaking Machine: Marketing, Planning, Strategy and Management"

* Next Generation, Next Destination*
* Cross-Generational Conversation*

Voice:: 212-593-1549
Fax:      212-980-7940