[Fredslist] Hurricanes

Raj Goel raj at brainlink.com
Sun Sep 25 10:03:48 EDT 2005

Fred,

	Good question.  First of all, weather manipulation is a complicated science,
and there has been some lab work towards hurricane mitigation and management.

	The biggest concern in the field right now, is legal.

	Yup - the scientists & the labs fear the lawyers.

	There's no clear law on liability, nor exception for weather management.

	If they reroute the hurricane away from New Orleans into Gulf of Mexico,
will they get sued by the oil platforms or the Gov't of Mexico?  Fmrmers that
got les than expected rainfall?  Ski operators in europe that recieved less
than projected snowfall?

	The second concern is, no one really knows the downstream effects of
weather management.  i.e., While some folks hated the El Nino effect in the
90's, it led to a surge in agricultural output in many parts of the world.

	Just my two cents from a guy who grew up reading sci-fi with it's tales
of weather management, and then did some research around the issue.

-- Raj

Rajesh Goel, CISSP
cell (917) 685-7731
CTO: Brainlink International, Inc.
"IT Crisis Management and Solutions"
HIPAA, Sarbanes-Oxley & GLBA Information Security Compliance