[Fredslist] SCORE NYC looking for mentors-a great opportunity to give back to the business community

Marc W. Halpert ybillc at optonline.net
Thu Sep 14 09:16:14 EDT 2017

Gotham:

With the wealth of experience and business knowledge that Gothamites
possess, and our mantra to give more than we receive, I believe we have more
than a few Gothamites who could serve at SCORE NYC and assist in its
impressive caseload of new business owners make a smart start in their new
careers.

I promised my very good friend Tom Greenbaum, the incoming chair of SCORE
NYC, that I would post a job description for SCORE mentors. I encourage you
to contact Tom (feel free to mention my name for context) and explore with
him how you can spend a few hours a week as a volunteer mentor and/or pass
along to others who can offer their expertise:

SCORE New York City - Mentor Job Description

Background:

SCORE is a 501c3 nonprofit organization that is a division of the Small
Business Association.  There are 330 SCORE chapters in the US involving
13,000 volunteers.

The New York Chapter is the flagship of the SCORE organization with 70
mentors and approximately 30 other volunteers providing support. The chapter
helps approximately 6000 clients in one of five offices in Manhattan,
Brooklyn, and the Bronx. In addition to face to face mentoring the chapter
conducts approximately 125 workshops, video mentoring and executive round
tables.

SCORE mentors benefit from the camaraderie of other mentors, the good
feeling of helping small business in the NY Metro area, and the learning
that will be obtained from participating in SCORE in-service training and
co-mentoring with others who are experts in specific fields.

Overall Role of SCORE Mentor:
A SCORE mentor works with small business clients (both start-ups and
on-going businesses) for the noble purpose of helping to start a business or
improve an existing venture. Specific areas of involvement with clients
might include such areas as marketing, sales, social media, financial
operations, web sites & SEO.  Most mentors meet with clients on a 2- or
4-week interval either in person, on the telephone or by video conferencing.

Mentors coming to SCORE are required to go through a training program that
generally lasts 1-3 months depending on the experience of the individual and
the speed with which they learn the fundamentals of functioning as a mentor
in the SCORE NYC office.

Skills required:

SCORE mentors come from many different disciplines and are deployed
primarily to clients who have requirements that are closely associated with
the skills and background of the mentor.  All mentors must be computer
literate in terms of having familiarity with at least email, word
processing, excel and Internet searching via Google.

To qualify as a SCORE mentor, candidates must have at least 5 years'
business experience, and must be willing to commit at least 4 hours per week
to SCORE in one of the offices.

To learn more about mentoring opportunities at SCORE please send a resume
and brief cover note mentioning Marc Halpert's name to:

Tom Greenbaum

FY 2017-8 Chair of the SCORE NY Chapter
Greenbaum at scorenyc.org <mailto:Greenbaum at scorenyc.org>

www.scorenyc.org <http://www.scorenyc.org>