[Fredslist] on this Giving Tuesday. . .

Anthony M. Verna III anthony at vernalaw.com
Tue Nov 29 17:27:18 EST 2016

. . . I'm asking for some Gotham Magic for a friend's non-profit.  Here's
the story:

My Luu died just seven weeks after she married Dave Ventresca. She ran
marathons on six continents, and he's now training to run her final marathon
on the seventh continent: ANTARCTICA. On this #GivingTuesday, please
consider the My Luu memorial fund. Donations are tax deductible, and today
matched by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.

Of Chinese heritage, My Luu was born in Vietnam. As a child, she emigrated
to Houston TX with her family. My graduated as Valedictorian from MacArthur
High School in Houston, then completed dual undergraduate degrees from Yale
University (where she served as President of Silliman Residential College
Student Council) and then earned her MBA from Cornell University. She was
President of Yale Alumni Association of New York, Co-Founder of the
Association of Asian American Yale Alumni, and former Advisory Council
member of the International Rescue Committee in NY, which supports refugees
from war-torn countries to rebuild their lives in the US.

My lived her life with robust vigor and limitless gusto. Her adventures
included running marathons on six different continents, visiting more than
150 cities in over 40 countries, and climbing the summit of Mt. Kilimanjaro.
Closer to sea-level, she found love and married her husband, Dave, in August
2015. Sadly, less than 2 months later, she lost her long-term, courageous
battle with Amyloidosis, a rare blood disorder.

My's smile radiated joy and her enthusiasm energized every room she entered.
She was equally as comfortable speaking on a panel at the United Nations, as
she was laughing with friends and loved ones at her favorite restaurants.
Despite her petite frame, she gave enormous hugs... all the time. to
everyone. Perhaps more than anything else, she'll be remembered fondly for
consistently putting the needs of others ahead of her own.

Her legions of admirers miss her every day.

Partnership With Y-Apply, Inc.

In the wake of My's passing, her friends and families sought ways to honor
her memory and to sustain her zeal for the life-changing possibilities of
higher education.

We often heard My describe her experiences as an immigrant in the United
States.  She arrived at the age of 6, speaking almost no English, after a 13
month stint in a refugee camp in Malaysia with her family. My worked
tirelessly and graduated ranked #1 academically in her high school class.
She was proud to say that she was accepted into Yale, and secured all of her
financial aid, before letting her family know that she even applied there.
And she completed all of that work in a pre-Google world in 1992!

My believed that her access to higher education at a first-rate institution
dramatically improved her life and we believe that she would have been proud
to support Y-Apply, Inc. Y-Apply (http://y-apply.org) is a registered
501(c)3 charity dedicated to reaching high-achieving public school students
from underrepresented ethnic and socioeconomic backgrounds and their
families and educating them about financial aid options and the application
process to top-tier colleges and universities. Students and families
consistently credit Y-Apply as playing a key factor in gaining admission to
a highly selective college or university.

https://www.crowdrise.com/myluufund

https://www.facebook.com/donate/10154088983915905/

Thank you.

Anthony M. Verna III, Esq.