[Fredslist] Boys' Night Out at Rao's, 2015 Edition

David Abeshouse davidlaw at optonline.net
Tue Aug 11 22:20:37 EDT 2015

Boys' Night Out at Rao's, 2015 Edition

This year's installment will be somewhat abbreviated; for plenty of background info, please see the previous years' reports, accessible at:
http://www.gothamnetworking.com/page/reviews (suggestion: you may wish to read - or skim - them in chronological order, starting with 2010).

This year, Paul Napolitano was a welcome addition to the group (Fred, Paul, Lonny, John, Odey, Tony and three Davids). The excellent wines he brought were an added perquisite.

Four of us drove this evening in the drizzle up to Rao's in East Harlem, where we met the city contingent (and one Rhode Islander).

We decided to forego the customary drinks at the bar because Paul and Lonny each brought 4 bottles of great wine - Brunello, Barolo, you name it - and instead  immediately migrated to our table (the large one up front, which fit the 9 of us comfortably). I've described the repast and atmosphere in some detail in the prior years' commentaries; suffice it to say that Rao's has lost nothing and maintained everything, year after year.

OK, the menu, ordered through Joey, who pulled up a chair to our table, and recited the possibilities; we ordered: salad, seafood salad, baked clams, amd soft shell clams, to start. Pastas: orchiette with broccoli rabe and sausage; filetto de pomodoro; meatballs. Mains: Steak pizzaolo; chicken scarpariello; french (french?) fries; shrimp scampi. Fred was particularly taken with the fact that Mark, our dessert waiter, said "no" to everything Fred - our intrepid host - requested. Nevertheless, we enjoyed an exquisite selection of ice cream flavors led, as always, by the surprisingly awesome black cherry. Such is the banter and the resulting consumables at Rao's. And the rest is history. (Fred has posted numerous photos on his Facebook page memorializing the festivities, including the ceremonial wearing of the NY Giants SuperBowl rings.)

So, the request has been placed. And next spring, we'll await that annual email, a few months in advance, advising us that we again will get to enjoy Boys' Night Out at Rao's, in the coming August. One can hope.

Best,
David
Gotham L. I.

Law Office of David J. Abeshouse
www.BizLawNY.com
B2B ADR - Business Mediator, Arbitrator, Dispute Resolution Lawyer
CCA, NADN, SuperLawyers, AAA Panel