[Fredslist] Summer Human Rights Programs in Rwanda and Bosnia-Herzegovina

Stephen Michel stevem671 at aol.com
Wed Feb 5 17:48:48 EST 2014

 This is a charity that I am helping out. They run programs for youth between 18 and 35 to learn about human rights abuses in Rwanda and Bosnia-Herzegovinia. The promotion flyer is below.

Stephen Michel
671 President Street
Brooklyn, NY 11215
(C) 917-593-8970
SteveM671 at aol.com
www.LinkedIn.com/in/StephenMichel

		I got to see how culture has a huge impact on what is considered “human rights.” As well, it made me realize my own country has major human rights problems.

		–  Visiting Delegate, GYC Rwanda 2013

	Call for Participants

	Summer Human Rights Programs
	in Rwanda and Bosnia-Herzegovina

	Application Deadline:

	Feb 15, 2014

		Dear Colleagues, Friends, and Future Participants:

		We wanted to remind you that Global Youth Connect is now accepting applications for our Summer 2014 Human Rights Programs in Bosnia-Herzegovina and Rwanda.

		Each program will bring visiting youth (from the US, Canada, the UK, Australia, and all around the world) together with youth in the host location to engage together in three key activities:

			A cross cultural human rights workshop

			Visits/Meetings with policy makers, organizations, and to relevant sites
			Volunteer service with grassroots NGOs on a variety of human rights issues including but not limited to: conflict resolution, education, health care, food/shelter, access to justice, human rights of children/youth, women, low-income populations, LGBTQ populations, indigenous populations, genocide survivors.

		The deadline for applications is February 15, 2014.

		Ages 18 - 30 (for Bosnia Programs) and 18 - 35 (for Rwanda Program).

		Anyone can apply! From the U.S., Canada, and all over the world.

		So please forward widely, share on facebook, or help promote by putting up this GYC 2014 Summer Programs Poster.

		Note: Program fees quoted are for visiting participants (not for local Rwandan or Bosnian participants). Some tuition reduction scholarship assistance is available for each program. See individual application documents for more information about tuition reduction scholarships.

		***

		To Apply:

		www.globalyouthconnect.org/participate

		For Testimonials:

		www.globalyouthconnect.org/testimonials

		For Previous Rwanda Reports: www.globalyouthconnect.org/country_rwanda

		For Previous Bosnia Reports: www.globalyouthconnect.org/country_bosnia

		GYC Blogs:

		gycvillage.org and the Open Society's youthpolicy.org/interculturalblogging

		My understanding of the concept of human rights has changed. I learned that some rights that are culturally not acceptable actually have to be given to people, like lesbians. I also learned that we don’t entirely have freedom of speech in Rwanda.

		– Local Delegate, GYC Rwanda 2013

		***

		JUNE/JULY 2014 CONFLICT RESOLUTION DELEGATION TO BOSNIA

		Location: Bosnia and Herzegovina

		Dates: June 29-July 20, 2014

		Application Deadline: February 15, 2014

		Age Range: 18 - 30 (Student/Young Professional)

		Program Tuition: $2700

		This program will focus specifically on the roots of conflict and the dynamics of justice, reconciliation, and peace building as experienced in Bosnia and Herzegovina more than a decade after the signing of the peace accord. In particular, participants will gain experience in conflict resolution and transformation as well as deepen their understanding of the post-conflict challenges faced by Bosnians today, especially young people from various ethnic and religious backgrounds.

		To APPLY: www.globalyouthconnect.org/participate

		AUGUST 2014 HUMAN RIGHTS DELEGATION TO BOSNIA

		Location: Bosnia and Herzegovina

		Dates: July 30 - August 20, 2014

		Application Deadline: February 15, 2014

		Age Range: 18 - 30 (Student/Young Professional)

		Program Tuition: $2700 (International Applicants)

		This program will focus on how local Bosnian youth and human rights organizations (including women’s organizations, youth organizations, LGBTI-rights organizations, arts organizations, and peace-building organizations, among others) are rebuilding the country more than a decade after the signing of the peace accord. Participants will gain experience in the application of international human rights theory, as well as deepen their understanding of the post-conflict challenges faced by Bosnians today, especially young people from various ethnic and religious backgrounds.

		To APPLY: www.globalyouthconnect.org/participate

		AUGUST 2014 HUMAN RIGHTS DELEGATION TO RWANDA

		Location: Rwanda

		Dates: July 31 - August 21, 2014

		Application Deadline: February 15, 2014

		Age Range: 18 - 35 (Student/Young Professional)

		Program Tuition: $2500 (International Applicants)

		The group of local Rwandan youth will be filled later.

		During this GYC delegation, International participants will join with Rwandan peers to learn about human rights achievements and challenges in Rwanda and the world, and to take concrete action steps together to support current and future efforts for human rights protection and promotion, both in Rwanda and abroad. Through a combination of workshops, site visits, advocacy meetings, and volunteer service with grassroots NGOs, we will learn and act on numerous key human rights issues in Rwanda, including but not limited to: gender and human rights, human rights of children, LGBTI populations, historically marginalized indigenous groups, refugees, domestic workers, poverty reduction, public health, juvenile justice, freedom of expression and the arts. In advance of and during the delegation, all participants will examine the roots of the 1994 Rwandan genocide, and see how its legacy has impacted the country and its people, particularly Rwandan youth, and also how the country is attempting to rebuild today.

		To APPLY: www.globalyouthconnect.org/participate

		In Solidarity,

		Global Youth Connect

		www.globalyouthconnect.org

--

Jesse Hawkes
Executive Director

Find us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Find Us on YouTube
GYC Blogs: gycvillage.org + Open Society's youthpolicy.org/interculturalblogging
Join a GYC Program: www.globalyouthconnect.org/participate

Global Youth Connect (GYC) is a human rights learning and activism organization dedicated to empowering youth from around the world to work together, interculturally and with grassroots organizations, to ensure that all human rights are fulfilled for all people. Our particular focus is on post-violence and/or post-genocide countries like Rwanda and Bosnia-Herzegovina.