[Fredslist] Don't forget about employee ACA communication due Oct. 1

Gia F Heeg gia at giafheeg.com
Fri Aug 23 09:35:38 EDT 2013

Dear Gothamites,

Every employer who is subject to the Fair Labor's Standard Act is required
to send a notice to their employees regarding Health Care Reform by Oct 1
(If you are not sure this applies to you, see my slide on FLSA
applicability).

I have included customizable letters for you to use that are compliant. I
also have customizable PowerPoint presentations for you to be able to
provide information to your employees regarding Health Care Reform. If you
would like access to the many useful tools I have, please just email me the
request, and I will forward you a link to my public Health Care Reform
Dropbox folder so that you can use any of the materials I have. Your
employees will be expecting you to help guide them through this, prepare
yourself with the information you need.

Don't forget about employee ACA communication due Oct. 1

By Keith R. McMurdy

August 16, 2013

With the recent employer mandate delay, some businesses might be overlooking
the requirement to provide a notice to employees about health insurance
coverage that may be available through a public exchange.

Employers must provide a notice to each employee, regardless of plan
enrollment status or part-time or full-time status, by Oct. 1. The notice
must be provided automatically, free of charge, and written in language that
the average employee can understand. It may be provided by first class mail
or electronically, if the requirements of the U.S. Department of Labor's
electronic disclosures safe harbor are met. It must also be provided to new
hires - for 2014, the DOL will consider a notice delivered timely to a new
employee if it's provided within 14 days of the start date.

The notice must inform each employee of three things:

*	The existence of state or federal health insurance exchanges.
*	If the employer plan's share of the total allowed costs of benefits
provided under the plan is less than 60%, then the employee may be eligible
for a federal premium tax credit if the employee purchases a qualified
health plan through an exchange.
*	If the employee purchases a qualified health plan through an
exchange, then the employee may lose the employer contribution to any health
benefits plan offered by the employer; also, all or a portion of such
contribution may be excludable from income for federal income tax purposes.

The good news is that employers don't have to create the notices from
scratch. The DOL published model notices, one for Employers Who Offer Health
Plans <http://www.dol.gov/ebsa/pdf/FLSAwithplans.pdf> , and one for
Employers that Do Not Offer Health Plans
<http://www.dol.gov/ebsa/pdf/FLSAwithoutplans.pdf> . If employers have
questions about how to complete the forms, this is an opportunity for an
employee benefit adviser to step in and provide guidance. Above all,
advisers should remind employers that they need to issue them. Just because
employers have a year to wait on the coverage mandate does not mean they can
ignore other compliance rules like this one.

Best regards,

Gia

The greatest compliment you can give me is the referral of your friends and
family. Thank you for your trust.

Gia F. Heeg │ Regional Accounts Manager

An Independent Agent Representing Aflac New York

American Family Life Assurance Company of New York (Aflac New York)

Mobile: 516.381.4249 | Fax: 631.204.6923

1945 Westphalia Ave | Mattituck | NY 11952

2799 Route 112 | Suite 7 | Medford | NY 11763

 <mailto:gia_heeg at us.aflac.com> gia_heeg at us.aflac.com
│www.aflac.com/gia_heeg

cid:image001.jpg at 01CC29AC.5DFE1C70

This message may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you
are not the addressee or authorized to receive this for the addressee, you
must not use, copy, disclose, or take any action based on this message or
any information herein. If you have received this message in error, please
advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this message. Thank
you.