[Fredslist] More about Yom Kippur services in the Village, at no charge

Phyllis Dubrow pdubrow at pipeline.com
Mon Sep 24 18:22:58 EDT 2012

To my Gotham family,

Passing this on from my friend Daniel, who conducts beautiful services on the High Holidays for family and friends – and no price for admission:

Held in St. John’s church at 81 Christopher Street, Tuesday night from 6:30 to 8, and starting at 9:30 Wednesday morning.  (Check the website for details:  www.villageyontif.com.)

Come and be welcomed:  L’shanah tovah to all.

Phyllis E. Dubrow

Attorney at Law

60 East 42nd Street, Suite 4600 | New York  NY  10165

T: (212) 661-2885 | F: (212) 409-8682 | E: pdubrow at pipeline.com

Dear All,

It is my pleasure to welcome you to our eighth year of High Holy Day services at St. John’s.

In this 2012 election year, many of us are on edge.  It is in our nature to hold our leaders to a higher standard than we hold ourselves.  No matter what our political affiliations are, we have adopted a set of questions to help us determine who we will vote for:

What kind of person are they?
Will my family be better off in a year, if they win?
Will they serve the betterment of the community?

This year, as we convene in prayer and meditation, those same questions might be applied to ourselves on a more personal level:

What kind of person am I?
Have I grown since last year?
What have I contributed to my community?
What promises did I keep? Or not?

None of us is perfect.  We live to regret roads not taken, time wasted... but we can embrace our humanity, give ourselves a break (atonement, forgiveness), accept our flaws, and strive to do, and be, better.  You are needed.  You are important.  It is necessary, now more than ever, for you to find, and listen to, your inner voice.

Here, again this year, another Leonard Cohen offering:

Ring the bells that still can ring
     Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
     That's how the light gets in
                         -Leonard Cohen, "Anthem <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_e39UmEnqY8> " (1992)

As the book says, “The gates are made to be entered.”  See you in shul.

L’shanah tovah!

Daniel Neiden, Cantor

Visit our website for details  www.villageyontif.com <http://www.villageyontif.com/>