[Fredslist] entertainment intellectual use rights fee recommendation

Nils Morgan nils at hartynet.com
Fri Aug 26 09:31:58 EDT 2011

My mother and I handle the ongoing reproduction and use rights for
commercial, and non commercial uses of my grandmothers photographs.

My grandmother was Barbara Morgan (several links below), most recognized for
her photography of all the major modern dancers in the 1930's and 1940's
including Martha Graham, she is also known as an early innovator in
experimental techniques of photomontage, and is a broader modern artist
through her lifetime.

We are very familiar with publication rates for various types of uses and
circulation print and web, and have been able to hold higher rates while
most have decreased over recent years. Her work has been used in movie sets,
but not recently.

We have a request that two major images be used on a recurring set through
the current season of a 60's period television depicting a NYC ad agency on
a cable network (wink wink).

I have read that this show's weekly budget for minor prop adjustments is
around 30k.

I would appreciate if anyone has insight to a logical use fee for this type
of use. It is certainly in our archives interest, but we wouldn't want to
leave too much on the table.

Thank you

Nils

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient
<http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4ADRA_enUS38
6US386&q=barbara+morgan%2c+photographer>
&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4ADRA_enUS386US386&q=barbara+morgan%2c+photographer

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/An-Unforgettable-Photo-of-Martha-
Graham.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbara_Morgan_(photographer)

Nils Morgan