[Fredslist] ASCAP / BMI -assistance needed for a friend

Stacy stacyl79 at aol.com
Thu Aug 18 11:55:21 EDT 2011

Hi Gotham!

I have a friend who owns a small restaurant where he has live musicians come in to do background music at times (a guitarist who sings, a piano player who sings). He pays BMI a fee each year. ASCAP now contacted him and asked for money. He asked me for advice. I have no idea what to tell him. Is this something he is required to pay? How much can they ask from him? What does his compliance with a fee grant him?

I have been told that since he is not charging a cover fee for the music, but its only background, that it is not covered under ASCAP. I have also been told that because the musicians are singing songs, it is covered by ASCAP and is the responsibility of the restaurant to pay a fee.

If anyone has any insight into this issue I would greatly appreciate it. He's a good friend and I want to guide him in the right direction!

Thanks - Stacy :)

Stacy Mandel Levine
Attorney at Law

No-Fault Law:
Claim Submission, Litigation, Arbitration
Medical Provider No-Fault Collections

Israel, Israel & Purdy, LLP
11 Grace Avenue, Suite 111
Great Neck, NY 11021