[Fredslist] Yankee Family Loses Two Greats

IrisWolinsky at aol.com IrisWolinsky at aol.com
Wed Jul 14 18:23:50 EDT 2010

Though I am not a sports fan and attend only the most occasional baseball
game - which I do enjoy - David's words resonated with me, especially as I
recently read Fridays With Red by Bob Edwards.  Edwards (or 'The  Colonel')
worked for NPR out of Washington DC a few decades back and  hosted Morning
Edition.  For 12 years Edwards had a 4  minute conversation long distance yet
live on the air with Red  Barber (at home on his own mike in Tallahassee),
at 7:35 am on Fridays  between '81 - '92 (when Red died).  I heard a few of
those broadcasts and always wondered who that interesting, soft spoken guy
Red Barber was, since at that time I didn't know.  The book gave a
wonderful view of Barber and his own illustrious career as a sports  broadcaster
which began well before radio was involved - he and just a few  others
pioneered sports radio broadcasting in the 30's and he was one of  the greats.
Just from the few NPR spots I heard I appreciated Red enough  to read his
biography years later (and it is very well  written).   So, it's not hard to
imagine how much such a  sportscaster comes to mean to those who attend or
listen to the games  regularly (especially one dubbed - how great is this! - the
Voice of  God).

Iris

Iris Wolinsky
Attorney Arbitrator Mediator
227 Riverside  Drive
New York, NY 10025
(212) 865-0505 Tel & Fax
(917) 716-7690  Cell
iriswolinsky at aol.com

In a message dated 7/14/2010 1:13:11 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,