[Fredslist] An Issue With a Karate School

Rona Gura ronagura at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 21 15:48:55 EDT 2010

Hi Gotham-

 A good friend of mine has 2 sons, both of whom have been going to the same karate school for eight and nine years respectively. My friend estimates that she has paid the school approximately $28,000.00 through the years.  Last year while in sophomore and junior year of high school, the boys began training for their black belts but, the owner of the school appeared to lose interest in them. As a result, they haven't completed their training and will not be getting their black belts.

When my friend tries to discuss this with the owner, he refuses to talk to her telling her that her sons are men who should be handling this themselves (which, obviously, they are too intimidated to do). Does my friend have any recourse? Is there any sort of regulation over these private schools?

This is a good friend who could really use some Gotham magic.

Rona