[Fredslist] Companion Dogs for People with Disabilities

Janet Castrogiovanni jdgrosso at optonline.net
Mon May 4 07:44:21 EDT 2009

Hello Along the Gotham Network,

I am looking to see if anyone has any leads on how to find a place where
my family and I can get a companion dog for my dad.  He has Parkinson's
and would really like to get a dog, but we know that it needs to be a
dog that is specialty trained in the area of people with disabilities.
He can not have a hyper dog or a dog that would run in front of him, and
it would put us all at ease to know when my mom is not around, should he
fall or need help, he would have the dog to get assistance for him.
They live in Brooklyn.

I have been doing some research online for this information, but thought
I would reach out to Gotham to see if anyone has any information that
could help make this whole process easier.  We have had dogs all of our
lives, so we know the responsibilities of owning one.  Any leads would
be so greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Janet

Janet Castrogiovanni