[Fredslist] Follow up: Obama's Cairo speech.

Christopher Lamal clamal at lamal-law.com
Fri Jun 12 01:43:34 EDT 2009

Many of you asked me to share any responses I received concerning the
questions I recently posted about Obama's Cairo speech. Until now, the only
whatever responses I got.

Well, it occurred to me to forward my queries to a friend outside Gotham who
I suddenly remembered has a PhD in Middle Eastern Studies. Here's her
response:

"RE the speech, I don't believe the finger snap would have had any
significance to a Muslim audience - not anything I"ve ever seen. And RE,
"USA", you likely heard correctly. Egyptians - with the exception of a small
group - love Americans and America; I'm sure they weren't quite as vocal
about it with Dubya as he was such a disappointment to the Middle East, but
Obama has inspired a lot of hope and respect. And they adored the Clintons."

Personally, I still find it hard to believe that an Egyptian audience would
chant "USA" but maybe that's just because almost the only time I hear that
chant (other than in international sporting events) is from politically
conservative Americans who shout it out with an almost jingoistic tone of
superiority. But, then again, I'm no expert.

Chris

Christopher T. Lamal
Lamal Law Office
1040 Avenue of the Americas