[Fredslist] Re: Real Estate 101 (Thanks Giants Promo)

JADLER115 at aol.com JADLER115 at aol.com
Fri Feb 8 08:48:37 EST 2008

Past  results help determine where market may  go
Monday,  February 04, 2008

_By Avram  Goldman_
(mailto:opinion at inman.com?Subject=Letter%20from%20Reader%20RE:What%20Super%20Bowl%20%20outcome%20means%20for%20real%20estate)
Housing  cycles are supposed to be characterized by long trend intervals --
long  periods of ups and downs. Today our markets are behaving much like the
stock market -- one week up and the next week down. My guess is that  depending
on the news home buyers ingest during the week, they tend to  react much like
investors in other asset classes. This makes it more  challenging to predict
where the market is headed.
As a kid I  grew up next to railroad tracks, and one of my joys (to the
chagrin of my  parents) was hopping onto slow-moving trains. In order to know when
trains  were coming we would put our ears on the tracks and see if we could
detect  the faintest of sounds to know the train was on its way. It worked for
the  trains; let's see if it can work for the housing market.
I delayed  finishing this report over the weekend because it was time to go
to the  Super Bowl party. I did this deliberately so I could let the New
England  Patriots and New York Giants aid us in determining which way this market
is moving. The reason is that the equity markets have had an uncanny  direct
correlation to the housing market or visa versa for the past  11-plus years.
They are tied at the hip. Whoever wins the Super Bowl,  meaning which conference
and which team, we can look at past Super Bowls  and see how the market has
performed over the ensuing year to determine  which way the wind is blowing.
Going all the  way back to 1967 and measuring return, it has been more
advantageous when  the NFC wins. The S&P 500 has been positive more often than
negative  (86 percent versus 63 percent of the time) with above-average market
performance in the Super Bowl year (NFC wins, +16.4 percent vs. AFC wins,  +7.1
percent). Since the Giants won, we have a good thing going.
Now from a  team perspective, when the Giants have won, the results have been
more  favorable than when the Patriots have won. In the Giants' two previous
wins (1987 and 1991), the S&P rallied 17.8 percent on average.  Although,
when the Patriots won (2002, 2004 and 2005) the market was -2.1  percent on
average.
More  impressive is when the Patriots lost the Super Bowl in 1986, and in
1997  the markets rallied 25.8 percent on average. Now we are talking. It is a
good thing the Patriots lost last night because the last time we had a  team go
undefeated (the Miami Dolphins in the 1973 Super Bowl) it preceded  the
1973-74 economic recession where the S&P 500 dropped 14.5 percent.
Finally, the  two times that the Giants won the Super Bowl economic
conditions were  similar to our current situation. The 1987 win preceded the October
stock  market crash, and the 1991 victory was during the last major housing
recession. The good news is that in both cases the markets moved higher  (1987,
+5.1 percent; 1991, +30.6 percent).*
Thank you Eli  Manning and the N.Y. Giants' defense team. Your win is the
best news we  have had since last summer. This is even more encouraging since the
week  of Jan. 21-27 saw home sales slow once again. The best thing that could
be  said is that open-house attendance was still brisk.
Now from what  I have heard about this past week from agents (which will be
discussed in  my next report) is a possible pick-up in sales activity, which
might have  been a precursor to the Giants win.
Go Giants --  Super Bowl champions! Now I wonder what this means for the
presidential  election.
*Statistics  provided by Deutsche Bank
Janet
Janet Adler Realty, Ltd