[Fredslist] Help save earth-sciences camp for hundreds of inner-city kids

Renee Colwell rcolwell at cmitsolutions.com
Mon Sep 10 12:38:21 EDT 2007

Dear Fellow Gothamites:

Amistad School is located in Inwood, upper Manhattan.  It's a dual-language
program that teaches K through 8 in English and Spanish.  All the kids
become fluent in both languages.  My own children attend this school.  Although
the NYC public schools have many problems that the private schools do not,
it is an opportunity for my kids to meet people from all neighborhoods, and
to give back to the city and its children.

For many years, Amistad has had a sponsored sleep-away camp for its students
at the Black Rock forestry science station.  The children get to learn
first-hand about nature and earth sciences.  For some, it is the first time
they've heard silence or seen stars.

This program is now in jeopardy.  The parents and teachers are organizing a
bike-ride fundraiser to save the "school in the forest".

Please -- donate if you can.  Pass the word if you cannot.  The children
will thank you.

go to http://www.thegreenride.org/ to learn how you can help.

--Renee Colwell
(Diversity)