[Fredslist] FW: November 2007

Diane DiResta diane at diresta.com
Wed Nov 14 14:01:41 EST 2007

_____________________________

DiResta Communications, Inc.
_____________________________
Communicating with Impact

31 E32nd Street  Suite 300
New York, NY 10016
Office: 212 481-8484 x.312
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Email:  <mailto:diane at diresta.com> diane at diresta.com
Website: www.diresta.com <http://www.diresta.com/>
Blog:  <blocked::http://www.businesspresentations.blogspot.com/>
www.businesspresentations.blogspot.com

  _____

From: Diane DiResta [mailto:diane at diresta.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 14, 2007 6:01 AM
To: diane at diresta.com
Subject: November 2007

<http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001_TY6cTBJOyJYtOPBBaUjEFNFdavOpgCjjmXcA3WTTJ7zviGB
2ijOJE_BFxcOi7hOI4fVg1YUcEtjqF0tLHDkuzHlvCplLRYPxw4byuLj1Oc=> The Science of
Speaking

November 2007

Dear Diane,

Diane DiResta works with organizations that want to
communicate with greater impact and with individuals
who want to communicate more clearly.

Did You Know ...

... the biggest faux pas a politician made this year?

Read my interview on presentations.com
<http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001_TY6cTBJOyI3lrVETKjObnnSic5mCvkx8fHW6j2gcOnVm2gL
5PxOLo2Eo0ohgmrmiE38QzN7hVeirfDPfLPkNpdwNzJ0og_rdESqHW6JRHhwD0NXECEmVwedWmZz
2-F5_QkMPuxo90Wm3ppL1z3y-xvX9vlg_aEyfEhjTvZiqobSVuCqwsE9-67wY3A6goC-QlzPvkR4
JXZvMAYQ0RXTXQaSRAaQAeHP> .

... most speakers make the same 10 mistakes?

You can still learn how to avoid all 10 mistakes. See my presentation at the
Small Business XPO at the Javits Center in NYC on 11/28.
To Register: NY Business
<http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001_TY6cTBJOyJMr2FeNIh5VWK5hdtytw9fxe87jsPv346SrECu
w3kc8YzAMkR5r-yKcZC5_1jT_dFz1auukDQ3WL7nFkwDyn7fQUL2bJgZ3PvcsqwmV7G0U4nIWWQ2
3rpDm5Ra-UMTx8to4tBj1tcc1jjU5XPzf9Mm> XPO

... I spoke at the Financial Women's Association on 11/12.

Motivational Moment

"It's a law of nature. You get what youfocus on most of the time.  The
challenge for most people is that they spend the majority of their lives
focusing on the things they don't want, and then end up getting more and
more of the things they never wanted in the first place!"

-Author Unknown-

The Science of Speaking

911 for Speaking Bloopers

If you've ever seen the outtakes of a movie or TV show, it can be quite
funny.  The actors make mistakes and then they laugh about it.

But what about public speaking bloopers?  Suddenly it doesn't seem so funny.
I watched a man give a presentation with his fly open.  Another presenter
had the slides in the wrong order.  President Bush frequently mispronounces
words.  And I once knocked over a cup of coffee while giving a seminar!

We're going to make mistakes.  That's a given.  But how you handle the
mistake is what counts.  What's your recovery strategy?

I ask my audiences to think of their worst fear. One person was afraid she'd
trip over a wire on the stage. So, imagine it actually happening. What could
you do to recover?

How about saying... "I want you to know I've been practicing that entrance
for weeks."

Or you could say... "Never let it be said that I don't know how to make an
entrance."

Or... "Now that I have your attention..."

One motivational speaker had to contend with a fire in the middle of his
speech. He led his audience to the parking lot, stood on a car, and
continued his speech.

If companies and cities can have disaster recovery strategies, so can you.
Develop a list of one-liners that you can put in your toolbox and you'll be
prepared for any situation.

To see how I recovered from my recent blooper, watch the video clip on
<http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001_TY6cTBJOyJ8yoWCSQCCXS2aAumeDFU-k6pW2yAe0_mePp7d
jcrLsWC_bOzirsfts4WwfHuZ-_w1kt_6-GIYefQkwvsc4Yvyif_8E4XEOnyNZZpbkMx9j0lBElMX
4BBQK2OLZGqnsTE=> my blog.

Media Tips

Context is everything. When speaking live before a crowd, your performance
will have a different effect than when you're seen on a TV clip.

 Howard Dean
<http://origin.ih.constantcontact.com/fs055/1010982112413/img/10.jpg?a=11018
68562450>
When Howard Dean was criticized for his loud "Yahoo" while campaigning, the
crowd was cheering with him. Because there was only one microphone, we could
only hear him and not the crowd. This changed the context causing him to
sound "out of control" or "over the top."

When producer James Cameron accepted the award for the movie Titanic, he
raised his Oscar and yelled, "I'm king of the world!" He sounded arrogant to
those who didn't know he was quoting one of the characters in the movie.

The next time you see a camera, consider the context and play to the lens.

Sincerely,

Diane DiResta
DiResta Communications, Inc.

Conversations
on Success

<http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001_TY6cTBJOyJLahDyC2reM0_JEMGHRyf7pcivFd59_7DzJ59o
3bqYgqep6qe6GT72PmTep5i8pZJNsaV9lDjmTpwtnqPxxj7B82SjV1hd_1Ru_KheoY3MNRPFkPdx
JrAk-QMvilmqzLspe-bpv23jyeMsmF61WvFN> Conversations on Success

What a collection of success stories! Conversations on Success features some
of Americas most renowned success personalities.

Conversations on Success will entertain you, inspire you, teach you, and
challenge you to set your success goals high and actually reach them!

Special Discount:
Was $19.95
Now $14.95!

<http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001_TY6cTBJOyKgcaSESLl-jBZyayfGL6mqhuBsjU6E5g8jRABH
iKB7jYHXaiRW09JXP4AA1jPwMw9S9E5bAuTbZwWj6UYPb9eACQmPgjiUnMWB1lo0MSrK9Z17j-Oz
-3YzOJW64M9n3T6qDhLrkr9EoyDz4o_eQ9Xgec3vOcqwR9keOjgQcEcEoW0ehGOl5OmMxdCrPo1P
WpemNUPEOhKWQePDxJmtF9A70HfzFXIeo0u9XQ4s7vO1wCn3oDSESI2RNM_mbfQ5emo=> Add To
Cart
More
<http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001_TY6cTBJOyJLahDyC2reM0_JEMGHRyf7pcivFd59_7DzJ59o
3bqYgqep6qe6GT72PmTep5i8pZJNsaV9lDjmTpwtnqPxxj7B82SjV1hd_1Ru_KheoY3MNRPFkPdx
JrAk-QMvilmqzLspe-bpv23jyeMsmF61WvFN> Information

Quick Links ...

My Sites:

<http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001_TY6cTBJOyKTC6JTNY2TROZ5qpaNbcM7vGr79H5_FWShkd0G
PLGEws00vzPsbpnp5GHM_V7UHXK5YLQx6VqfTY2qYmzDxA-fue5MrgBZBLjWnoncT2k0VRcsH4hj
06ufTYfezzVghAk=> YouTube

<http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001_TY6cTBJOyJ8yoWCSQCCXS2aAumeDFU-k6pW2yAe0_mePp7d
jcrLsWC_bOzirsfts4WwfHuZ-_w1kt_6-GIYefQkwvsc4Yvyif_8E4XEOnyNZZpbkMx9j0lBElMX
4BBQK2OLZGqnsTE=> Business Presentations
<http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001_TY6cTBJOyJYtOPBBaUjEFNFdavOpgCjjmXcA3WTTJ7zviGB
2ijOJE_BFxcOi7hOI4fVg1YUcEtjqF0tLHDkuzHlvCplLRYPxw4byuLj1Oc=> DiResta
Communications

Where I'm Featured:

<http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001_TY6cTBJOyI3lrVETKjObnnSic5mCvkx8fHW6j2gcOnVm2gL
5PxOLo2Eo0ohgmrmiE38QzN7hVeirfDPfLPkNpdwNzJ0og_rdESqHW6JRHhwD0NXECEmVwedWmZz
2-F5_QkMPuxo90Wm3ppL1z3y-xvX9vlg_aEyfEhjTvZiqobSVuCqwsE9-67wY3A6goC-QlzPvkR4
JXZvMAYQ0RXTXQaSRAaQAeHP> presentations.com

<http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001_TY6cTBJOyJc3WykUs1sCifN0rwMyHgPn0b5pSgPvWGVH6EA
3WhbO5j_7p7BQqN8sZePxc1w8ocI-WJ-ywQ2ywoW9QdxjZPyQnxpEOP9W4ir-ADMZaNDXg==> NY
Business XPO

 <http://visitor.constantcontact.com/email.jsp?m=1010982112413> Join Our
Mailing List

Change Your Preferences

To change the format of this newsletter to html or text, use the Update
Profile/Email Address link below my signature.

Forward email
<http://ui.constantcontact.com/sa/fwtf.jsp?m=1010982112413&ea=diane%40direst
a.com&a=1101868562450>

<http://visitor.constantcontact.com/d.jsp?p=un&m=1010982112413&ea=diane%40di
resta.com&t=1101868562450&lang=en&reason=F>

This email was sent to diane at diresta.com, by diane at diresta.com
Update Profile/Email Address
<http://visitor.constantcontact.com/d.jsp?p=oo&m=1010982112413&ea=diane%40di
resta.com&t=1101868562450&lang=en&reason=F>  | Instant removal with
SafeUnsubscribe
<http://visitor.constantcontact.com/d.jsp?p=un&m=1010982112413&ea=diane%40di
resta.com&t=1101868562450&lang=en&reason=F> T | Privacy Policy
<http://ui.constantcontact.com/roving/CCPrivacyPolicy.jsp> .
Email Marketing <http://www.constantcontact.com/index.jsp?cc=TEM_News_115>
by
 <http://www.constantcontact.com/index.jsp?cc=TEM_News_115>
DiResta Communications, Inc. | 31 E32nd Street | New York | NY | 10016

<http://rs6.net/on.jsp?t=1101868562450.0.1010982112413.404&ts=S0296&o=http:/
/ui.constantcontact.com/images1/s.gif>