[Fredslist] I will miss The Judge

Michael Zeldes Michael.Zeldes at hubinternational.com
Sat Nov 10 09:19:44 EST 2007

Over my many years as a Gothamite I knew Judge Goldfluss to be the
witty, warm and dynamic man that many of you came to know. You could not
attend a meeting he was at without walking away with a smile and
affection for him.

Over the last year or so however, I got to know the Judge personally and
he made a deep and profound impression on me. He had heard about the
Maria Fareri Children's Hospital in Westchester where I am a Board
Member and fund raiser and made it a priority to give his time and
money. I got to know yet another side of this special man; a deeply
sensitive soul who was moved by the stories of children whose serious
illnesses and accidents led them to be treated at the Hospital.

Last October he invited me and the head Physician at Maria Fareri, Dr.
Michael Gewitz, to be guests on his local radio show in Westchester. He
welcomed us that day and promoted the hospital and our annual wine event
fund raiser. At the end of the show, the Judge said to Dr. Gewitz that
he had some pains in his chest but he knew "it was nothing." The doctor
suggested that he get it checked out at a local hospital just to be on
the safe side. The Judge said, "if I am going to go to any hospital it
will be your's". We were about 30 minutes away in the opposite direction
of his Bronx home but that is what the Judge wanted.

I followed him up to the Westchester Medical Center and proceeded to sit
with him in the ER as Doctors poked and tested him. I urged him to let
his family know where he was but he didn't want to bother them,
especially his wife who he said would get very worried, "for nothing".
After an afternoon sitting with him, I had yet seen another side of the
judge. We spoke about many parts of his life that I had not heard
before. He told me how proud he was of his children and their most
impressive accomplishments and told me more about the books he had
written. His seemed to be a most fulfilling life. I am so glad I had
that opportunity, even under those conditions.

He denied the doctors suggestions to stay over night and left the
hospital after hearing that he was OK. He continued to send me checks
for the Children's Hospital several times over the next year. I only
learned of his death yesterday when the Children's Hospital called to
let me know that his daughter had let them know that he had passed away
and had asked that upon his death donations be made to the hospital in
his memoriam. I was shocked and saddened to hear about his death. I was
not surprised, however, that he wanted us to support the Children's
Hospital. He was that kind of man. He made things happen, always with a
smile and conviction that what he was doing was right.

He will be sorely missed.

Michael Zeldes

Senior Vice President

Hub International Northeast

1065 Avenue of the Americas

New York, NY 10018

PH 212-338-2353

FX 212-338-2557

EM michael.zeldes at hubinternational.com

Web http://www.hubnortheast.com

Confidentiality Notice:
-----------------------
This Electronic message, together with its attachments,
if any, is intended to be viewed only by the individual
to whom it is addressed. It may contain information that is
privileged, confidential, protected health information and/or
exempt from disclosure under applicable law.

Any dissemination, distribution or copying of this
communication is strictly prohibited without our prior
permission. If the reader of this message is not the intended
recipient or if you have received this communication in error,
please notify us immediately by return e-mail and delete the
original message and any copies of it from your computer
system.