[FredsList] Compiled responses to SAT exam prep advice inquiry

David Abeshouse davidlaw at optonline.net
Sun Jul 15 15:44:52 EDT 2007

I'd offered to compile Gotham's responses to my inquiry on Thursday about
SAT exam prep advice - here they are:

 * * * * *

Hi, David:

My neighbor, Franca Rawitz, owns a company called We Walked In Your
Shoes-www.wewalkedinyourshoes.com.  They do tutoring for SATs as well as
other college-related counseling.  She created her business based on her own
experience with her sons-her older son is going into his sophomore year at
Johns Hopkins & her younger son is, I believe going into his senior year of
high school, and is starting to make the college rounds.  Franca will
definitely understand your situation.  Please email her at
info at wewalkedinyourshoes.com, or (212)744-3384.

 * * * * *

Private tutor is best. I have one for math.

 * * * * *

David, if you can afford it then private SAT tutoring is priceless.  I used
someone who was actually a Kaplan tutor, but he worked privately which is
supposed to be very hush hush so please don't publicize that.  He only works
if someone recommends him.  My daughter went up over 100 points in Math by
using the tricks Daniel taught her and I was very pleased with him.

Right now, he is working in the City, but he does come out to the Island.
His name is Daniel Fisher and his cell number is 516-582-1291.

He really is very good, but a lot of it depends on how much effort the kids
put in on their own.  Eleventh grade is challenging enough, and to put in
all of this extra studying time can be a bit daunting.  Daniel really does
teach them how to take the test, which apparently is an art unto itself.

 * * * * *

My daughter and son used Tom Ehlers 516 695-7067.  He is an Ivy League
graduate and highly recommended by local guidance counselors.  We also used
Yale Tudors  914 646-0721 who sent a Tudor (Jason) from NYC by train to our
home in West Babylon.  He was a Yale graduate pursuing an actor/writing
career.  He was great.  My niece increased her score by 200 points using
Jason.  My kids scored in the low 1200's but of course being the task
master, I thought they should have studied/practiced more.  The tutoring is
helpful but the practice tests between sessions make the difference.

If you get a group together, you can save some money.

 * * * * *

My kids took the Testtakers course.  It was given at Temple Emmanuel in
Great Neck(Kings Point).  They did very well with it.  My daughter is the
high achiever A+ student and my son is what I like to call the A student
doing B work.  The course worked for both of them.  She is at UMich and he
is at Purdue.

A word based on past experience.  The A list schools are getting to be
ridiculous for kids from this area to get into so make sure that they apply
to a variety of schools.  It can be very discouraging when the child has
terrific scores, a great GPA and they can't get into the schools they think
they want.  It all works out for the best.  My daughter was wait listed at
Brown and thought it was the end of the world when she did not get in.
Michigan was the best thing that ever happened to her and she wouldn't trade
it for anything.

Good luck.

 * * * * *

Abby-Can you help David?

Abby Siegel College Entrance Consultant

abbysiegel43 at gmail.com

Mr. Abeshouse-
As Scott told you my name is Abby Siegel and I am an independent college
consultant. I work with high school families to help them navigate the
entire college admissions process. To learn more about my visit please visit
www.abbysiegel.com. If you have any questions please contact me via email as
I will be away this weekend. Thanks!

Abby Siegel
Abby Siegel & Associates, LLC
www.abbysiegel.com
212-702-9747
"Get Smart About Getting In!"

 * * * * *

David:

Having been through this process twice with my children, and
listened/counseled countless clients on this exact topic, I recommend
private tutoring, if price is not an issue. You also need to be very
realistic about your respective children's test-taking abilities, as well as
their diligence to do the assigned work. History does repeat itself, even if
great test prep is provided. Also, what I believe is truly key is PRACTICE.
The more times a teen takes the test, the more familiar they become with the
strategies and test-taking times (they are longer now), and anxiety does
then ease. So, finding a service that offers regular practice tests in
test-taking environments is important (besides in-home practice tests).

Having said all of this, and since I do work with many tutoring services for
my clients, I recommend you contact A List education
(http://www.alisteducation.com <http://www.alisteducation.com/> ) . Scott
Farber, its founder, has many clients in Nassau County whom he and his
tutors service. He can be reached in the city at (646) 216-9187. Please let
Scott know I referred you. Should things not work out with Scott (although I
believe they will), then I can suggest others who might travel to LI.

Good luck!

Jill

 * * * * *

David:

I sympathize, having just attended our son's graduation (U of C), older
daughter, Haverford.  There is nothing as nice as seeing that last college
application get into the mailbox on time and knowing that you have nothing
left to do - other than pay the bills, of course, which is a completely
different subject! - and it's all in the hands of you-know-who.

Meanwhile, psychiatrists are good for everyone in the family.

As for tutoring, we preferred private - it's more focused & personalized.
Classes are good, however, for practice situations (like when they take the
test for real), but a good private tutor will see that they practice enough.
Private is more expensive, but you will only need what you need - no more,
no less; it sounds as if your children are motivated enough to make the best
use of a tutor.  Advantage is/was the biggie and the most expensive; we were
lucky enough to have an Advantage tutor who used to babysit - and taught off
the books.  I don't know many other tutoring services - but I think we still
have the vocabulary file cards somewhere in the house..

You can see that this made an indelible impression on me - there's almost
nothing as tough as these last years of high school (unless, maybe,
Chicago.)

Good luck - you'll get through it.

 * * * * *

Many thanks to all who replied.