[Fredslist] Business Lessons from Minaya and the Mets

Phyllis Weiss Haserot pwhaserot at pdcounsel.com
Mon Oct 16 16:43:02 EDT 2006

Phyllis Weiss Haserot's
Organizational Effectiveness Issue of the Month
BUSINESS LESSONS TO LEARN FROM OMAR MINAYA
[The Mets' General Manager]
Some of you already know I am a big New York Mets fan. (In fact, I aspire to a part time job as Mr. Met, the mascot, but that's another story.)

I couldn't tear myself away from watching the celebration when the team won the division championship on September 18th - 20 years after the last one. There was no doubt we were watching a TEAM, a group of elite athletes who cared so much for each other and their common goal(s) that they raised the bar on what their talent alone was able to produce and had no intention of being stopped. They are diversity personified, yet they all claim to be incredibly close-knit, and new (lateral) additions feel comfortable with them almost immediately. Though ideally that's what a team should be, for professional sports teams in the last few decades, it is quite unusual, perhaps unique.

As a close observer of how the team has been remade in two short years (though it seemed much longer to the fans), I think business and professional firms can learn some lessons in talent recruitment and management from Mets general manager, Omar Minaya, and the team manager, Willie Randolph.

To read the lessons and applications for the business world, see http://www.pdcounsel.com/OmarMinayaE-alert.9.06.html

Enjoy!

Phyllis Weiss Haserot
Practice Development Counsel
Consulting/Coach to the Next Generation
Author of "The Rainmaking Machine: Marketing Planning, Strategy and Management"

* Next Generation, Next Destination*
* Succeed in Your Own Personal Style *
* Build Your Influence Quotient (IQ) *
* Get a Seat at the Table *