[Fredslist] Allie Sherman Luncheon

Gerald Goldhaber geraldgoldhaber at yahoo.com
Tue May 9 16:49:32 EDT 2006

Today I had probably one of the best afternoons I have had since I joined Gotham, a luncheon with former football legend and NYGiants Head Coach, Allie Sherman.  Each of us told a personal story about how and why we had become Giants' fans or a story about the Giants and then he freely handled all of our questions about his coaching days, the great ball players and coaches and a lot of inside football stories that you never read about in the papers.  More importantly, he was a real nice guy (in Yiddush, we'd call him a real Chamisch Mensch...sp?).  As an extra treat, he personally signed autographs and posed for as many pix as we wanted and treated each of us as if we were the only ones in the room of about 2 dozen avid Giants' fans.  This was truly a memorable afternoon, a real highlight of my Gotham membership.
  This leads me to ask our membership:  do any of you have any contacts with any other "LEGENDS", be they sports or from other walks of life.  Perhaps we should start a "Legends" series of 2-3 lunches/year where a group of us do lunch with another "legend".  Might be another activity that cuts across our Gotham groups as well as bring us into contact with important sports/entertainment or business or "other" legends...hopefully, not legends in their own minds.....Just a thought and I'd love to help out if there are others interested with "legends" as contacts or suggestions.   Gerry Goldhaber 917 279 2303-cell