[Fredslist] Bernanke Meeting Yesterday

Dichter, Dan [PVTC] dan.dichter at smithbarney.com
Thu Feb 16 11:18:35 EST 2006

Continuity was the unofficial theme of Ben Bernanke's first policy
testimony yesterday.  The new Fed Chairman reaffirmed long-standing
commitments of monetary policy and in the immediate setting echoed the
tilt of the January FOMC toward further tightening.  Markets have gone
most of the way toward discounting a 5% funds rate soon.  In our updated
and revised forecast we are on board with that, anticipating hikes in
both March and May.

The projections of Committee members and non-voters appear broadly
consistent with market pricing.  Central tendency estimates for GDP
("about 3.5%"), core PCE prices ("about 2%) and unemployment (4.75-5%)
are not out of line with private forecasts, but notionally at least they
would imply a funds rate in a 5% to 5.25% range using standard
formulations of the Taylor rule.  Based on past relationships, those
rates would mark a mild overshoot.

However, we should stress that whatever the policy rate, if financial
conditions do not transmit recent and pending changes in the funds rate,
the risks will remain toward still higher short rates and still greater
curve inversion.

As always, plesae don't hesitate to contact our office with any
questions or needs.

_______________________________________
Daniel G. Dichter
Second Vice President - Wealth Management
Smith Barney | Citigroup Global Markets, Inc.
31 West 52nd Street, 23rd Floor
New York, NY 10019
p. (212) 603-6178
f.  (212) 307-3863
dan.dichter at smithbarney.com

> Citigroup Global Markets Inc., including its parent, subsidiaries
> and/or affiliates ("Citigroup"), usually makes a market in the
> U.S.-traded over the counter securities and may sell to or buy from
> customers, as principal, securities mentioned herein.  Citigroup or
> employees preparing this communication may have a position in
> securities or options of any company mentioned in this communication.
> An employee of Citigroup may be a director of a company in this
> communication. Citigroup may perform or solicit investment banking or
> other services from any company in this communication.  Securities
> recommended, offered, or sold by Citigroup: (i) are not insured by the
> Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation; (ii) are not deposits or other
> obligations of any insured depository institution (including
> Citibank); and (iii) are subject to investment risks, including the
> possible loss of the principal amount invested.  Although information
> has been obtained from, and is based upon, sources Citigroup believes
> to be reliable, we do not guarantee its accuracy and it may be
> incomplete or condensed.  All opinions and estimates constitute
> Citigroup's judgment as of the date of this communication and are
> subject to change without notice.  This communication is for
> informational purposes only and is not intended as an offer or
> solicitation for the purchase or sale of any security. This is neither
> an offer to sell nor a solicitation of any offer to buy a new
> security.  For further information, please contact your Citigroup
> representative.

Reminder:  E-mail sent through the Internet is not secure.
Do not use e-mail to send us confidential information
such as credit card numbers, changes of address, PIN
numbers, passwords, or other important information.
Do not e-mail orders to buy or sell securities, transfer
funds, or send time sensitive instructions. We will not
accept such orders or instructions.  This e-mail is not
an official trade confirmation for transactions executed
for your account.  Your e-mail message is not private in
that it is subject to review by the Firm, its officers,
agents and employees.