[Fredslist] Shipping Insurance

Glenn Dekhayser gdekhayser at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 15 17:30:08 EST 2005

Gotham-

  My vendor ships all their product FOB Origin, via truck, meaning that  title of the equipment passes to the customer as soon as it leaves my  vendor's dock.  Most of our customers want us to insure the  product from the factory to their dock, but neither my vendor nor the  distributor for the vendor do so (or even offer).  The particular  product is worth much more than a weight-based valuation, which is what  the trucking company's insurance would do.

  Does there exist an insurance company that will insure a shipment on a  per-shipment/one-off basis based on its actual value?  We've found  companies that are willing to charge us a monthly fee, with a value and  quantity limit per year. We really don't want that, as we don't always  need to insure these products, but we want that 'on-demand' insurance  option, even if it means paying a premium for it (which we would of  course pass on to our clients).

  Gotham, come through!

  Thanks

  Glenn Dekhayser
  VP, Technology