[Fredslist] Vica Versa [Op Ed]

Scott Stuart scottstuart.esq at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 16:51:25 EST 2005

*Vica Versa*
**
By Scott Y. Stuart

War.  It is polarizing, captivating, shocking and sometimes even romantic.
It is the topic of conversation at every cocktail party and takes center
stage in our news.  Nobody likes war probably because of the realities it
causes we as a people, nation and individuals to face.  War.  Maybe it
serves a purpose and maybe it does not. Regardless, it is the reality of the
new millennium.

Growing up at the end of the Vietnam war, I was captivated by small but
important things I really did not understand.  I recall swimming one July
day and hearing the draft lottery being announced on the radio.  I remember
seeing graphic battle images from a far away land on TV I  know I did not
like.  I remember the day it all ended and America gasped a sigh of relief
probably out of collective exhaustion.  And these images of that war make me
wonder what my own children see in their mind's eye when they see images of
this war.

This war is not that war and I am not trying to imply they are the same.
But in these recent days I have thought more and more about that war and
what happened then compared to what is happening now.  Are the similarities
between the two wars leading us down a path of lessons learned or are we
simply going down a path of blind ambitions rooted in lessons ignored?  War
is war is war is war.  But this one, as different as it may be in its
objectives, sounds very much like another war fought in another jungle with
other insurgents in the days of my own childhood.

Today, the call to arms is the global quest to quash terrorism.  Then, it
was the rush to stop the spread of communism.  Sounds like both eras can
safely boast a determination to stop a domino theory from taking root.  The
question of course is whether a traditional ground war is the way to keep
the dominoes from falling. We lost that war and despite our seemingly clear
objectives, communism came to an end anyway.

In 1964 we thought the mission was accomplished during our occupation of a
small nation, not much bigger in size than the one we occupy today, after
losing a mere  300 soldiers to the cause.  Today, with over 2000 American
casualties already, the mission is anything but accomplished and no one is
quite sure if and when it will come to pass.  Sounds like a familiar tune
being played to a new storyline.

History has a funny way of saying things better than the present day
writer.  So in an effort to comprehend this war at this time, I turn to the
words of others.  In those words, there is not only wisdom and truth, but
insight to be pondered.  It is in the the following words that this war has
taken shape for me.

*"[Iraq] is far away from this quiet campus.  We have no territory there nor
do we seek any.  The war is dirty and brutal and difficult. Why must we take
this painful road?  We fight because we must fight if we are to live in a
world where every country can shape its own destiny.  And only in such a
world will our freedom be finally secure." *
* *
*"Over this war and all over [the free world] is another reality: the
deepening shadow of [terrorism].  We are also there to strengthen world
order.  Around the globe, from Berlin to Thailand, are people whose well
being rests, in part, on the belief they can count on us if they are
attacked.  To leave [Iraq] to its fate would shake the confidence of all
these people in the value of an American commitment and in the value of
America's word.  The result would be increased unrest and instability, and
even wider war." *
* *
*"Our objective is the independence of [Iraq], and its freedom from attack.
We want nothing for ourselves only that the people of [Iraq] be allowed to
guide their own country in their own way. We will do everything necessary to
reach that objective.And we will do only what is absolutely necessary." *
* *
In theses words I feel great confidence that the objectives are noble. In
these words, I am comfortable with America's leadership abilities abroad.
In these words, I know my country is doing what needs to be done to keep me
and my children free from terror worldwide.  Or do I?  For these are the
words delivered by President Lyndon Johnson at John Hopkins University on
April 7, 1965, replacing references to Vietnam and Communism with references
to Iraq and Terrorism.

Lessons to be learned or lessons already learned?  Words to live by or words
to again die by?  This war may not be that war, but certain themes are
strikingly similar, as are my fears for our future.  It is not about right
or wrong as much as it is about how we stop the comparisons of yesterday
from becoming the realities of tomorrow.  I reach no conclusion as to  why
we are where we are.  I only look to the wisdom of others to make sure the
objectives this time turn into a reality that never materialized not so many
years ago.

December 9, 2005

*THE VIEWS EXPRESSED IN THIS OP PIECE ARE THAT OF THE AUTHOR AND DO NOT
NECESSARILY REFLECT THE VIEWS OF GOTHAM NETWORKING OR ANY OF ITS INDIVIDUAL
MEMBERS.  COMMENTS REGARDING THIS OP PIECE SHOULD BE SENT DIRECTLY TO THE
AUTHOR AT **SCOTTSTUART.ESQ at GMAIL.COM* <SCOTTSTUART.ESQ at GMAIL.COM>
**

--
SCOTT Y. STUART. ESQ.