[Fredslist] On going 2nd Career search

Carol Seelig caseelig at sprintmail.com
Tue Aug 2 17:54:34 EDT 2005

Hi:  I met with Jeff Bernstein (another Gothamite) this AM.  He made a great
suggestion.  It is to ask Gotham members if they know of any individuals who
own a business but have no one to pass it on to when s/he/they want to
retire or cut down on their hours.  While I started looking at the food
industry, I'm open to other industries although I'm sure that some
manufacturing operations might not be as attractive to me as others.
However, I'm not shutting anything out.

If you don't know of anyone in this category, will you please ask your
attorney and accountant?  Accountants are frequently the people who are most
likely to know about this type of situation since it gets covered in tax
planning considerations.  Trust and Estate lawyers will also be in the same
situation.

I understand that there are business brokers.  I'm not sure that it's the
best way to go but if you know any reputable business brokers - not
investment bankers - then I'd appreciate a reference to them.  Investment
bankers don't usually know about deals the size that I'm thinking about.
They are much more likely to know about public companies going private or
vice versa.

Anyway, any help or references you can pass on will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for the ongoing support.  Interesting article on the topic of second
careers in Today's Wall Street Journal.

Best regards,   Carol