[Fredslist] Passport - Birth Certificate - name change problem - Help needed

Susan Zinder sz at susanzinder.com
Fri Jul 15 15:47:42 EDT 2022

Ok Gotham – this one is going to really challenge us but we can do it!

My good friend (let’s call him Moshe ben Yaakov) is currently in his early 60s, was born in NYC, is currently retired and is now in need of a passport.  But when Moshe was born he was differently named, let’s call his baby name John Smith.

When John was a young child, his mother converted to a Jewish denomination and changed, her name, as well as the names of all of her family members, including children… so John became Moshe. He was enrolled in NYC public school as Moshe; when he worked he worked as Moshe, he files his taxes as Moshe… but…..

While his mother changed her name and John’s name and started calling him Moshe, she never filed documentation with NYS to officially change his name (or I think anyone else’s name in their family).

So he really has no meaningful access to his birth certificate because it shows his mother’s previous name and it shows his name as John Smith.  His mother is alive and may be able to get a copy of the birth certificate and can provide an affidavit as to what happened, but he really needs to get the entire thing cleared up, his name officially changed, and get a passport.

If you are or know someone who can help please let me know.  One day I look forward to providing fellow Gothamites with high net worth clients.  Today is not that day. Moshe has a limited income but real needs.

Susan

Susan Zinder

(h) 212-873-6503
(c) 917-370-3369
sz at susanzinder.com<mailto:szinder at zinderlaw.com>
www.susanzinder.com<http://www.susanzinder.com>

This email and any attachments thereto, is/are intended only for use by the addressee(s) named herein and may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information.  If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you are hereby notified any dissemination, distribution or copying of this email, and any attachments thereto, is strictly prohibited.   If you receive this email in error please notify Susan Zinder via email at sz at susanzinder.com<mailto:szinder at zinderlaw.com> or call 646.380.6715 and permanently delete the original copy, any copy of this email and any printout thereof.