[Fredslist] Joshua Zinder "nails" it in this interview ...

Shelley Simpson simpson.shelley at gmail.com
Mon Feb 7 14:58:16 EST 2022

Check out this wonderful interview with Gotham’s Joshua Zinder. The stories he shares are interesting; the way he got to architecture is fascinating.

https://medium.com/authority-magazine/joshua-zinder-of-jza-d-five-things-you-need-to-create-a-highly-successful-career-as-an-architect-c140b7d2f54e <https://medium.com/authority-magazine/joshua-zinder-of-jza-d-five-things-you-need-to-create-a-highly-successful-career-as-an-architect-c140b7d2f54e>

Be Well!

Shelley Simpson, JD/Business Developer
Business & Personal Development Partner
simpson.shelley at icloud.com

 <https://policy.medium.com/medium-rules-30e5502c4eb4?source=responses-----c140b7d2f54e----------------------------------->
The note you're looking for was deleted

Joshua Zinder of JZA+D: Five Things You Need To Create A Highly Successful Career As An Architect
An Interview With Jason Hartman
 <https://medium.com/@jasonhartmanofficial?source=post_page-----c140b7d2f54e----------------------------------->
Jason Hartman <https://medium.com/@jasonhartmanofficial?source=post_page-----c140b7d2f54e----------------------------------->
Follow

Feb 3 <https://medium.com/authority-magazine/joshua-zinder-of-jza-d-five-things-you-need-to-create-a-highly-successful-career-as-an-architect-c140b7d2f54e?source=post_page-----c140b7d2f54e-----------------------------------> · 12 min read

Vision. You’re an architect, presumably, because of your innate talent and the skills you’ve acquired, so naturally it’s not enough to just reflect your clients wishes back to them. When designing and then presenting project concepts, be sure to show them the potential — not just what they want but also what it could be. More often than not, the client recognizes that your vision for their project captures their goals while optimizing the results.
Asa part of my series about the ‘Five Things You Need To Know To Create A Highly Successful Career As An Architect’, I had the pleasure of interviewing Joshua Zinder.
Joshua Zinder, AIA, NCARB, LEED AP, is the Founder and Managing Partner of Joshua Zinder Architecture + Design (JZA+D), and the Immediate Past President of AIA-New Jersey, having served as chapter President in 2021. Passionate about every aspect of architecture and design, Zinder’s approach blends an affinity for traditional materials with a commitment to appropriate design, allowing every project to reflect a sense of purpose, place and context. With a career spanning more than 25 years, his diverse design portfolio includes high-end commercial space, gourmet restaurants, cultural and educational institutions, private residences, multi-family mixed-use developments, and government/municipal facilities.
Thank you so much for doing this with us! Can you tell us the “backstory” about what brought you to this particular career path?
There are three things that I believe brought me to this career path. First, from an early age my parents saw something in me that said “he will be a builder of things.” To that end they gave me a box of wood, hammer, nails, and a saw — for my fourth birthday. (I would never give such a gift to my own children at that age — the implications are scary!) Next, was the World Trade Center twin towers, or rather their mark on the skyline. One of my earliest memories of visiting New York City includes seeing the orange-clad construction protection around the towers. The sight of those bold orange marks on the gray skyline had a profound impact on me.
The last thing that set me on this path was a failure: I failed seventh-grade Spanish. This put me on an alternate path, since I was not permitted to take a language class again for some time. Instead I took mechanical drawing, and found that the language of graphics and spatial relations felt innate for me. I just knew how to communicate this way. After that, any chance I had to see architecture, draw architecture, and eventually create architecture, I took it.
Can you share with our readers the most interesting or amusing story that occurred to you in your career so far? Can you share the lesson or take away you took out of that story?
The first project that I managed and documented myself was for Bayview Correctional Facility in Manhattan. Handling everything myself meant inspecting the rooftop mechanical equipment, and the day that was to happen the catwalk that provided access to the roof had yet to be installed. The only other option was to be hoisted up by crane in a bucket with two other people. I got in the bucket with some hesitation, and wouldn’t you know it — the crane stopped moving while we were dangling ten stories above 21st Street.
I don’t mind telling you that I was terrified, and making matters worse was the fact that fixing the crane required a replacement part that had to come from Syracuse, maybe a four-hour drive away. So we waited there in the bucket well past afternoon and into the evening until finally someone arrived with the part. Later I told my boss that no, I wasn’t able to inspect the mechanicals on the roof, and that I wouldn’t do it until they finished the catwalk, and if he wanted to know why he could turn on the local TV news.
I can’t say I learned any valuable lesson from the experience, though it did reinforce the idea that I should trust my gut feelings. Also, after that episode, a lot of things that might seem scary to others in my line of work don’t really rattle me.
Do you have a favorite “life lesson quote”? Can you share a story or example of how that was relevant to you in your life?
I live by the motto “be happy and always keep learning” — if I am not learning or if I’m unhappy, then it’s time to make a change. When I got out of school, I worked at a number of different firms for a few months each different firms, moving around a fair bit until I found the position at a firm where I would continue to learn. I took advantage of the notion that it is always easier to get a job when you have one — if I was not happy I started to look around for the next position. This strategy allowed me to leverage my skills for the position I wanted and to grow as an architect.
Are you working on any exciting new projects now? How do you think that will help people?
We are working on a project for an organization called HomeWorks Trenton. It’s essentially a dormitory for young women, which we hope will afford many of them a way to stay in high school and move on to college. It’s not a glamorous new restaurant or hotel, but we are so excited by the opportunity to support this amazing nonprofit that does amazing work for young people from marginalized communities. Founder Natalie Tung is inspiring!
What do you think makes your company stand out? Can you share a story?
If if I were to pick one thing, it’s our ability to collaborate and generate inspiration. We see each project as a reflection of the client. They are the driver — to achieve the best possible outcome we need to work closely with them to help realize their vision. We have been working on the Nelson Glass House for the last few years though approvals, permits and construction to build a three-story residential addition atop an existing family-owned structure. Our client told us how her father originally built the one-story industrial shop. We took the “language” of that building and used it as inspiration for the look of the addition. Now the look of the three new floors presents the family’s vision — stepping back away from the street at each new level in order to respect the residential feel of the street — as much a reflection of our client and her father, as of our work as architects and designers.
None of us are able to achieve success without some help along the way. Is there a particular person who you are grateful towards who helped get you to where you are? Can you share a story about that?
As a big believer in networking and relationship-building, there are many stories I can share in that regard. But I would have to say my partner Mark A. Sullivan, who I have known for over 30 years, has contributed more than any other professional or friend to my success. We attended school together, and he really helped me out back then. Most importantly though, Mark keeps me grounded. He always provides a much-needed reality check. If I need to bounce ideas off of someone, I can depend on Mark to be straight with me and not mince words if he think’s I am on the wrong path. When I opened my own practice, he told me I was crazy to do so — the risk, the stress! — but he also said he could understand why I wanted to do it and that if I was aware of the risks and still felt the need that I should pursue it. A few years later he joined the practice. Now I know we can be crazy together, but at least we are able to follow our passion for architecture.
You are a successful business leader. Which three character traits do you think were most instrumental to your success? Can you please share a story or example for each?
Confidence despite fear. When I started my own practice, I was not comfortable speaking in front of people. Attending events, seeing the number of people would make me want to retreat back into my shell. A few months in I went to a networking event where I was forced to stand up in front of over 100 people to tell a personal story. The leader of the group slapped me on the back and said, “Remember, it’s your story, so you have nothing to fear.” This little comment gave me the boost I needed, and it allowed me to tell the story with confidence and spirit. I remind myself of this every time I have to speak in front of people…I tell myself they are there to hear me out, that they want me to succeed, and it is my story! Being confident means working through the fears we all have.
Have vision, and always speak up. I believe that one must create the world they want to live in, and that starts by sharing the vision with others. I share my ideas and goals with my partner and staff, and whenever possible with the world. Sharing with others outside our four walls is part of how we managed to grow even during the lean times and economic downturns. It has also led to unexpected honors and awards for me, team members, and the firm itself. These recognitions came from fellow architects, and from the greater business community.
Empathy. I was lucky enough to be able to work on projects from concept through construction early on in my career. Now with my own firm I want to offer that same experience to those working for me. In addition to that, we’re structuring the practice to support a life outside the office for each staff member. You need to remember that your success is not possible without those working hard for you, and you can pay that back in part by creating an environment they will want to work in, and where they feel their work and experience is respected and valued. To that end we have instituted flex time, personal time off, and remote working among other policies. I am proud that the office feels as much like a family as it does a place of business.
Ok. Thank you for all that. Let’s now jump to the main core of our interview. Can you share 3 things that most concern you about the industry? If you had the ability to implement 3 ways to reform or improve the industry, what would you suggest? Please share stories or examples if possible.
Covid, and the fear of indoors. Lately the talk has been all about fresh air. People are fearful of gathering indoors, and with good reason. Adding ultraviolet and ionization treatments to air circulation systems is a good first step, but not enough. Architects need to identify sustainable technology and passive ventilation techniques that would allow groups of people to assemble indoors without increasing the risk of infection. Then we need to advocate for these strategies publicly, so that end-users can demand them.
Our litigious society. Too often individuals decline to take responsibility for their own work. It is always someone else’s fault, and suing everyone, even if they had nothing to do with the issue at hand, is always an option. As a result of rising costs associated with liability insurance, architects often shy away from taking on projects that insurance carriers may deem risky. In many cases this actually prevents the architect from even practicing. We need to structure the law to create an equitable balance that will encourage professionals to take on important work without fear of retribution.
Delegitimization of architects and licensure. Flatly stated, there are designers who practice architecture unlicensed, because the law in their jurisdiction allows it. For example, many states allow contractors to sign and seal residential and corporate office projects, when architects should be the ones to sign off on these. The first step in addressing this challenge is to create a structure within which interior designers can become licensed. States would define their particular scope of work more rigidly, and require a professional degree and an exam to become licensed, in the interest of public safety. Also, states should strengthen the requirements for who can sign off on architectural documents.
Ok, here is the main question of our interview. Can you please share with our readers the “Five Things You Need To Know To Create A Highly Successful Career As An Architect?” If you can, please give a story or an example for each?
Draw. Architects need to communicate through drawing, and should practice the skill daily. Architecture is a graphic language. To practice successfully you need to be able to communicate in many ways, the most important way being drawing by hand.
Patience. Creating architecture take immense patience. Carrying projects from concept to completion can take years, and there are many obstacles along the way: the client decision process, municipal approvals, permits, construction process, and change orders, to name a few. The trip from the blank canvas to the finished space can increase your blood pressure and raise frustration levels. It is a process that is fraught with stress — you will need extraordinary patience to survive and thrive.
People person. Architecture is not a solo profession. Our job is to listen closely to people, take their desires and translate them into built environments. In addition to the client, you need to work with government agencies, contractors, and other stakeholders, all of whom have their own agendas. You need to listen just as closely to them, really hear what they are saying, in order to find the path to realizing your client’s vision. You will also need to be a cooperative partner, a collaborator, and a creative problem solver. But the process always starts with being a good listener. Some days you may feel like you’re a therapist for your clients — in those moments, be sure to remember that the process is stressful for them, too.
Vision. You’re an architect, presumably, because of your innate talent and the skills you’ve acquired, so naturally it’s not enough to just reflect your clients wishes back to them. When designing and then presenting project concepts, be sure to show them the potential — not just what they want but also what it could be. More often than not, the client recognizes that your vision for their project captures their goals while optimizing the results.
Happiness. Architecture is not easy. The hours are long. Everyone is a critic. Your favorite projects will eventually be demolished, often to make way for something awful. If you take all of this to heart, the loss and frustration will eat you up. The architect should develop a philosophical or spiritual view of these challenges that will allow them to brush it all off, to accept their part in the continuum and to understand that part matters. Whatever else happens — and there will always be something else — your work counts. You’ll need to manage stress so that it doesn’t accumulate, and find ways to accept that creating something beautiful and functional is special and important, even if it’s temporary. If you’re not happy, are you really successful?
Because of your position, you are a person of enormous influence. If you could inspire a movement that would bring the most amount of good to the greatest amount of people, what would that be? You never know what your idea can trigger. :-)
I would most want to inspire a serious adaptive reuse movement, both within our profession and among the many stakeholders we serve and work with. Many towns and cities around the country have old mill structures and other industrial buildings from time past, sitting unused. Many of them could be converted into affordable housing, office buildings, retail centers, and even entertainment destinations. Too often we build new developments right next door to these sites. The new construction is probably comparable in cost to a reuse project, but without benefiting from the either the design integrity nor the rich history of the existing industrial structure, both of which are often considerable. Furthermore, reuse is always very green. The embodied energy represented in harvesting raw wood or manufacturing concrete and steel is massive, and can be saved by reusing what’s already available. This can be a perfect platform to create affordable housing in sustainable, diverse, and walkable communities with thriving downtowns that people want to go to, and even live in. This is not to say we should never build new, and never tear down something that is unsalvageable. Rather, we should invest in the past first, before we strip away history to create a new future.
How can our readers further follow your work online?
Our website is jzad.com <http://jzad.com/>, and you can find out more on Instagram <https://www.instagram.com/jzad.architecture/>, Facebook <https://facebook.com/jzad.architecture/>, and LinkedIn <https://www.linkedin.com/company/joshua-zinder-architecture-design>.
Thank you for your time, and your excellent insights! We wish you continued success.
Authority Magazine
 <https://medium.com/authority-magazine?source=post_sidebar--------------------------post_sidebar-------------->In-depth Interviews with Authorities in Pop Culture, Business, Tech, Wellness, & Social Impact

Follow

Business
 <https://medium.com/authority-magazine/tagged/business>

 <https://medium.com/@jasonhartmanofficial?source=follow_footer-----c140b7d2f54e----------------------------------->
WRITTEN BY
Jason Hartman <https://medium.com/@jasonhartmanofficial?source=follow_footer-----c140b7d2f54e----------------------------------->
Follow

Author | Speaker | Financial Guru | Podcast Rockstar
 <https://medium.com/authority-magazine?source=follow_footer-----c140b7d2f54e----------------------------------->
Authority Magazine <https://medium.com/authority-magazine?source=follow_footer-----c140b7d2f54e----------------------------------->

Follow
In-depth Interviews with Authorities in Business, Pop Culture, Wellness, Social Impact, and Tech. We use interviews to draw out stories that are both empowering and actionable.
More From Medium
More from Authority Magazine
 <https://medium.com/authority-magazine/female-disruptors-purva-gupta-is-shaking-up-the-ai-world-with-emotionally-intelligent-ai-c509af3e75a8?source=post_recirc---------0------------------------------->
Female Disruptors: Purva Gupta is shaking up the AI world with emotionally-intelligent AI
 <https://medium.com/authority-magazine/female-disruptors-purva-gupta-is-shaking-up-the-ai-world-with-emotionally-intelligent-ai-c509af3e75a8?source=post_recirc---------0------------------------------->
 <https://medium.com/@rabbiweiner?source=post_recirc---------0------------------------------->
Yitzi Weiner <https://medium.com/@rabbiweiner?source=post_recirc---------0-------------------------------> in Authority Magazine <https://medium.com/authority-magazine?source=post_recirc---------0------------------------------->
Sep 21, 2018 <https://medium.com/authority-magazine/female-disruptors-purva-gupta-is-shaking-up-the-ai-world-with-emotionally-intelligent-ai-c509af3e75a8?source=post_recirc---------0-------------------------------> · 9 min read

848

More from Authority Magazine
 <https://medium.com/authority-magazine/whenever-i-feel-depression-nipping-at-my-heels-its-usually-correlated-with-feeling-ceee23702fba?source=post_recirc---------1------------------------------->
Therapist Megan Bruneau: “Whenever I Feel Depression Nipping At My Heels, It’s Usually Correlated…
 <https://medium.com/authority-magazine/whenever-i-feel-depression-nipping-at-my-heels-its-usually-correlated-with-feeling-ceee23702fba?source=post_recirc---------1------------------------------->
 <https://medium.com/@biancarheals?source=post_recirc---------1------------------------------->
Bianca L. Rodriguez Ed.M, LMFT <https://medium.com/@biancarheals?source=post_recirc---------1-------------------------------> in Authority Magazine <https://medium.com/authority-magazine?source=post_recirc---------1------------------------------->
Feb 5, 2019 <https://medium.com/authority-magazine/whenever-i-feel-depression-nipping-at-my-heels-its-usually-correlated-with-feeling-ceee23702fba?source=post_recirc---------1-------------------------------> · 15 min read

707

More from Authority Magazine
 <https://medium.com/authority-magazine/say-i-love-you-a-lot-with-greg-ostertag-of-the-utah-jazz-f3c9bffb24ee?source=post_recirc---------2------------------------------->
Greg Ostertag of the Utah Jazz: “Say I Love You, A Lot”
 <https://medium.com/authority-magazine/say-i-love-you-a-lot-with-greg-ostertag-of-the-utah-jazz-f3c9bffb24ee?source=post_recirc---------2------------------------------->
 <https://medium.com/@rabbiweiner?source=post_recirc---------2------------------------------->
Yitzi Weiner <https://medium.com/@rabbiweiner?source=post_recirc---------2-------------------------------> in Authority Magazine <https://medium.com/authority-magazine?source=post_recirc---------2------------------------------->
Aug 5, 2018 <https://medium.com/authority-magazine/say-i-love-you-a-lot-with-greg-ostertag-of-the-utah-jazz-f3c9bffb24ee?source=post_recirc---------2-------------------------------> · 7 min read

534

Learn more.
 <https://medium.com/about?autoplay=1&source=post_page-----c140b7d2f54e----------------------------------->
Medium is an open platform where 170 million readers come to find insightful and dynamic thinking. Here, expert and undiscovered voices alike dive into the heart of any topic and bring new ideas to the surface. Learn more <https://medium.com/about?autoplay=1&source=post_page-----c140b7d2f54e----------------------------------->
Make Medium yours.
 <https://medium.com/topics?source=post_page-----c140b7d2f54e----------------------------------->
Follow the writers, publications, and topics that matter to you, and you’ll see them on your homepage and in your inbox. Explore <https://medium.com/topics?source=post_page-----c140b7d2f54e----------------------------------->
Write a story on Medium.
 <https://medium.com/creator-tools?source=post_page-----c140b7d2f54e----------------------------------->
If you have a story to tell, knowledge to share, or a perspective to offer — welcome home. It’s easy and free to post your thinking on any topic. Start a blog <https://medium.com/creator-tools?source=post_page-----c140b7d2f54e----------------------------------->
 <https://medium.com/?source=post_page-----c140b7d2f54e----------------------------------->About <https://medium.com/about?autoplay=1&source=post_page-----c140b7d2f54e----------------------------------->
Write <https://medium.com/new-story?source=post_page-----c140b7d2f54e----------------------------------->
Help <https://help.medium.com/hc/en-us?source=post_page-----c140b7d2f54e----------------------------------->
Legal <https://policy.medium.com/medium-terms-of-service-9db0094a1e0f?source=post_page-----c140b7d2f54e----------------------------------->