[Fredslist] Aye Aye Captain Steger

Shelley Simpson, Esq simpson.shelley at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 11:39:29 EST 2021

I don’t know about you, but for me, a major reason for going to a networking meeting is doing business - the giving piece as well as the “what goes around” piece referenced in our Gotham motto. Whether in person or on Zoom, meetings can be short and sweet, long and lovely, filled with fun, a snooze fest, or anything in between.

Mike Steger (Law Offices of Michael Steger) has consistently found the sweet spot for creating a satisfying networking experience.

On my ride to Westchester yesterday, I arrived early as Mike was getting set up. He had a well thought out plan - two breakout sessions, time fo everyone to speak, and time to schmooze at the beginning and end.

Breakout #1 … imagine heading off to the corner of the room and chatting with a couple of folks and then returning to the main meeting - nice, right? Same on Zoom, it’s nice catch up with people. WHATEVER …

Back to the table … go around, introduce ourselves … nice to get a little reminder/update on what people do. I have a game I play at meetings to help me learn what everyone does and who they want to meet. Happy to share.

Breakout #2 …  imagine being dispatched with instructions - and I mean INSTRUCTIONS! Sounds a  little bossy or pushy? It was more like LEADERSHIP. There was no messing around - we had an assignment and there was going to be an accounting upon our return. The result was purposeful and meaningful conversation.

So here’s the thing - it was a great exercise and my big takeaway is the value of being with seasoned professionals whose greatest business tool is experience - in business and in life. The depth and breadth of the Gotham network is not to be taken lightly. The second breakout and follow up discussion was truly valuable.

Suzanne Lagle (Houlihan Lawrence Real Estate) pointed out that in business we have to be the  “captain” of the ship and captains can’t be unsteady. In Gotham Westchester it was smooth sailing - all hands were on deck and Captain Mike made sure we were on the right course and arrived at our destination better for having travelled together.

shelleygram™️

Be Well!

Shelley Simpson, JD/Entrepreneur
Business & Personal Development Partner