[Fredslist] Red Bandanna Hero

Paul Napolitano paul at twosonsenv.com
Tue Aug 3 15:03:29 EDT 2021

Great article Mike! Everyone should read all of it, but I had to cut and paste a portion of it below. Very poignant.

Paul Napolitano
President
Two Sons Environmental, LLC
Critter Cleanup NY, LLC
A red bandanna visitor
[NYC firefighter Lt. Harry Wanamaker of Upper Nyack, left, with Welles Remy Crowther on the Fireboat McKean in New York Harbor, on June 20, 2001. Crowther died saving others in the South Tower of the World Trade Center on Sept. 11, 2001. Wanamaker, who volunteered at the Upper Nyack's Empire Hook and Ladder Company, worked on "The Pile" at Ground Zero to find Welles' body, and succumbed to 9/11-related illness in 2010.]Included in the history is a moment that connects the McKean directly to the Twin Towers, and not just through a hose line stretching down Liberty Street. Conte's father, Harry Wanamaker of Upper Nyack, spent the last few years of his firefighting career on the fireboat. It was to the McKean, in June 2001, that Wanamaker welcomed a young friend from Upper Nyack's Empire Hook and Ladder Company.

The young man stood in the stern of the McKean next to Wanamaker and told his photographer father, also an Empire member, to make sure to frame the photo to capture the Twin Towers in the shot.

That's where the young man worked, after all. The photo should capture his firefighting past, beside Wanamaker, with his World Trade Center present.

Three months later, that young man, Welles Crowther, stood in the smoke and flame of the South Tower, with his trademark red bandanna wrapped around his mouth and nose<https://www.lohud.com/story/news/2016/09/06/911s-man-in-the-red-bandanna/88760810/>, and his firefighting training kicked in. Survivors recalled a young man speaking loud, clear and calm.

"I found the stairs," he said. "Follow me. Only help the ones that you can help. And follow me."