[Fredslist] Gotham Book Club Tomorrow!!

Stephen Scully stephen.scully at racsny.com
Wed Sep 2 14:23:28 EDT 2020

Gotham Members:

If you havent already RSVP'd, send me an email......please let us know if you plan to attend.....

Below is a repost of Nancy Schess' email to Fredslist

Subject: Gotham Book Club: Join us on 9/3 at 12:30

As you know, we recently communicated Gotham's Stand Against Racism<https://www.gothamnetworking.com/page/gothamreacts> and our commitment to embark together on a journey of honest self- reflection.  As we said in our statement, Gotham strives to provide a forum for education, engagement, enlightenment, and greater inclusion.

What better first step than to start reading, learning and talking.  Please join us for our first Book Club where we will learn together about issues around racism in our country.  All we ask is that you engage with us honestly and be open to learning and embracing perspectives you may not have considered before.

Much gratitude to Julie Klein and Jackson Klein for taking the initiative to start up our Book Club again around such important topics.

We will be reading:  Why Are All the Black Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria: And Other Conversations About Race by Beverly Daniel Tatum.

As described on Amazon<https://www.amazon.com/Black-Kids-Sitting-Together-Cafeteria/dp/0465060684/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2GQ8VG3LYLQDK&dchild=1&keywords=black+kids+cafeteria&qid=1594430214&sprefix=black+kids%2Caps%2C157&sr=8-1>:

Walk into any racially mixed high school and you will see Black, White, and Latino youth clustered in their own groups. Is this self-segregation a problem to address or a coping strategy? Beverly Daniel Tatum, a renowned authority on the psychology of racism, argues that straight talk about our racial identities is essential if we are serious about enabling communication across racial and ethnic divides. These topics have only become more urgent as the national conversation about race is increasingly acrimonious. This fully revised edition is essential reading for anyone seeking to understand the dynamics of race in America.

We hope you will join us on September 3 from 12:30 pm to 1:30 pm for a Zoom conversation moderated by our Book Club Chair, Julie Klein.   Let’s learn together.

Please RSVP to Steve Scully at stephen.scully at racsny.com<mailto:stephen.scully at racsny.com> and Steve will send you the Zoom link.

Nancy B. Schess, Esq.

Partner

Klein Zelman Rothermel Jacobs & Schess LLP

Representing Management in Labor/Employment Law for Over 30 Years

485 Madison Avenue - Suite 1301

New York, New York 10022

T:  212-935-6020 x219

C: 516-238-3036

F:  212-753-8101

www.kleinzelman.com<http://www.kleinzelman.com/>

nschess at kleinzelman.com<mailto:nschess at kleinzelman.com>

Listed in NY Metro Super Lawyer 2011-19 (Employment & Labor Law)

Klein Zelman Rothermel Jacobs & Schess LLP is currently operating remotely for the safety and health of our staff and our larger community. We are fully operational and available to serve our clients through our existing email addresses and phone contact information. We know that these are difficult times with constant change. Please do not hesitate to reach out to any of us.