[Fredslist] Towers Meeting, Inaugural Gotham Zoom Networking call, some general advice for all

Amparo Connors Amparo at alliedpersonnel.com
Tue Mar 17 14:04:44 EDT 2020

Good afternoon Gotham members: Gotham Towers meeting at 8:00 AM was the first Zoom facilitated Gotham group meeting. With Nancy Schess as the meeting organizer she joined us at the beginning and later again for part of the call. In all there were 10 of us which was a good start; we were pleased to be able to share some of our struggles and advice in our ever evolving new world.

Re. the tech aspect of the call we strongly advice all who participate in Zoom meetings to use the Mute option. Look for a small microphone image located on the lower left corner of the zoom screen, when you click to mute you'll see a red a line through it. Much of the background noise was static due to some IT/connectivity issues of a few participants; the mute button helped all to hear better. As the meeting leader calls on you simply click to unmute. To comment literally raise your hand, so the group leader can see it if you have video, or send a private chat message to them; there's also a raise hand option on the right side. If you don't have a strong Wi-Fi signal consider using the voice call option only, as some of our members did. Mitch Tobol was of great help as I prepared for the Zoom call so avail yourself of his expertise if need help with the technology.

We had some light moments like when roosters crowed as Fred spoke, and a dog barked in someone's home. Overall we shared industry expertise and assured each other.

Some highlights:

*       Gotham Co-Founder/Circuit Rider Nancy Schess: Workplace rules re. days out, lay-offs, related to the Pandemic are ever evolving. Advises a sympathetic approach while helping employers to explore tax breaks and government regulations/relief

*       Towers Banker Bernie Dolington: Strongly encouraging all to not withdraw large sums of cash from banks. A safety risk if followed from the bank or home broken into. Banks will remain open, even if branches have to stagger openings, and ATMs cash supplies are being replenished daily. At TD if prearrange can get up to $1K cash from an ATM. Also strongly advices to utilize mobile and online banking and bill pay.  Important to help Seniors who've been resistant to these methods to make this transition. Funds are secure and will minimize physical exposure by limiting branch visits

*       Towers Financial expert Steve Lichtenstein: Balance, pre-planning and not acting out of panic are key words he's sharing with clients. Do not be reactive; "main takeaway is that short term pressures are often replaced by long term recovery".

*       Towers RE Sales leader Helen Keit: Stay in close contact with clients letting them know you are available to serve, even if on a modified basis. Add value; i.e. a good time for Personal Equity Assessments

*       Towers CPA Ken Goldstein: Business clients fearing bz. closings or massive losses are evaluating laws and changing legislation with regards to lay-offs, employee furloughs, SBA loans and other relief programs. Get informed for your clients and seek expertise like HR attorneys.

*       Towers Home Mortgage Lender and Group Coordinator Steve Lefkowitz: Now is a good time to apply for a HELOC; application will be based on 2019 Financials instead of 1st quarter 2020 income. There's a small window of opportunity that can help small business owners with future income concerns.

*       Towers Government & Public Affairs Counsel Corey Bearak: Working from home has been customary but now must co-share the work space thus adjusting to new routines. Works with many Unions that value his advice, focusing on these relationships while being available to many organizations

*       Towers Trusts and Estates and Elder Law Attorney Donna Turetsky: Reassuring clients while staying appraised of evolving regulations

*       Gotham Co-Founder Fred Klein: Best advice is for businesses to value their most important asset, their people. Also asked to remind you that Zoom calls/Circuit riding is FREE; a great way to get to know other Gotham members

*       Towers Staffing Professional & Group Chair Amparo Connors: Focus on the joy not only in your personal lives but in your office, and with your personal/networking connections. Pick up the phone more to connect. If quarantined or only work from home, consider some wisdom from a young cloistered Nun in NJ:
          https://www.facebook.com/161803171103632/posts/556608191623126/?d=n
Thank you all; stay healthy, 'see you' on a Zoom call! All my best, Amparo

Amparo M .Connors, President
Allied Personnel Services, Inc., Green Staff NY
NY City & State Certified M/WBE
718.261.7979  ~  212.451.0235
Corp HQ: 118-21 Queens Boulevard; Suite 610 Forest Hills NY 11375
amparo at alliedpersonnel.com<mailto:amparo at alliedpersonnel.com>                      www.alliedpersonnel.com<http://www.alliedpersonnel.com/>