[Fredslist] ICYMI: A "How To" for: Posting to Fredslist, Promo

Corey Bearak bearak at me.com
Thu Aug 13 20:47:14 EDT 2020

Over the last several weeks, a number of folks in the tribe got tripped up a bit on posting to Fredslist or Gotham Promos.  We talk about this at our meetings.  Even during our zooms.  Many of you get informal advisories even “interventions” from the undersigned or Gotham’s webmaster.  Your GCs can help too.

Noneless, Gotham published this easy to read guide <http://bit.ly/GothamPDFListserv> that you may find linked at the bottom right of the Gotham website homepage. Find it attached as a PDF (If you receive Fredslist via digest - no attachments, please email me and I’ll send you the PDF, if you wish.), linked below, and its entirety immediately below the link <http://bit.ly/GothamPDFListserv> — and for your reading pleasure, please find and enjoy all you need to know and more about using Fredslist, posting a Promo, and a Madly special day (and way) to post on charities.  Please read on!
Thank you for your interest.

Best.

-Corey
  Lists moderator
Corey B. Bearak, Esq.
Government & Public Affairs Counsel
Networker of the Year-2012| co-chair, GOtham GREEN® | Gotham Towers | LI Legal | Gotham Power Breakfast Chair | Gotham Sponsorships Chair |  Gotham Sundays Blogger | Moderator, Fredslist & Gotham Promos
P.O. Box 135, Glen Oaks, NY 11004
(718) 343-6779 ♦ facsimile (888) 379-3492
Corey at CoreyBearak.com <mailto:Corey at CoreyBearak.com> ♦ StrategicPublicPolicy.com <http://strategicpublicpolicy.com/> ♦ Bearak on Twitter <http://twitter.com/Bearak>
Author, The Public Ought To Know <https://intelligentarts.net/the-public-ought-to-know/>, available on Kindle <https://amzn.to/36ByeQJ> and Nook <http://bit.ly/2O7HRjB> and Apple <https://apple.co/2tPxday> devices
If you receive this email and did not request it, please reply and I will kindly remove your email address from the list.
This Internet Email Transmission may contain Confidential or Privileged Information which is intended only for use by the individual or entity for which the transmission is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, dissemination, copying or distribution of this transmission is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify this office by telephone immediately so that we can arrange for the return of the documents to us at no cost to you.
[sent from my MacBook Pro]

*  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *

Here’s the direct link to the PDF file containing the  posting guides which you might consider bookmarking:
http://bit.ly/GothamPDFListserv <http://www.tools4marketing.com/gotham/UsingGothamListserv2020.pdf>

*  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *

 <>

Gotham City Networking Inc.
Guide to Posting to Fredslist and Promo listservs

Gotham gets asked often so here goes.

Fredslist and Promo are moderated lists. That means that they are not automatically posted but are reviewed and then released at regular times. Postings to Fredslist will be moderated only between Monday and Friday and not over the weekend. Postings to Promo will be moderated and released only on Tuesday and Fridays. (More on which email to use for which items follow later in this guide.)

►To post to Fredslist (Mondays through Fridays) email to fredslist at gothamnetworking.com <mailto:fredslist at gothamnetworking.com>.

►To post to Promo (Tuesday and Fridays only) email to promo at gothamnetworking.com <mailto:promo at gothamnetworking.com>.

ALSO, you will receive an automatic notice that your post was submitted for moderator review. However, you may not receive that automatic notice because of your spam/junk filter that prevents the same email that you sent, to be received. That automatic notice email includes a link that allows you to cancel your posting in the event you made a typo, left something out or want to make a correction, or just change your mind about wanting to post.  If you do not receive the automatic notice it may signal to you that you are not receiving Fredslist posts. You can always check yourself in our Fredslist Archives.  https://www.gothamnetworking.com/fredslist.php <https://www.gothamnetworking.com/fredslist.php>

Special Note: Emails are reviewed sporadically on the weekends in case an emergency email needs to be addressed. For example, for health issues, we do screen and share relevant posts to our “advocates” who will respond direct where they can help.

Things to Remember for Posting to both lists:

Please use our lists to help make great connections for your business and find needed resources. But we expect that our members will use our lists in a Gothamly way, being respectful and professional at all times in the spirit of helping each other for the greater good.

Gotham only approves posts during business hours so please try to send your post during the business day. Posts sent after hours get held to the next day (or next Promo Day).

Whether on Fredslist or Promo, please do not send any mass emails, such as company newsletters, which include an “unsubscribe” link. For technological reasons, these emails are problematic.

We discourage sending emails with attachments. Attachments are often stopped by spam filters. In addition, a large percentage of Fredslist and Promo “members” won’t see it because they are receiving emails in digest format which removes the attachments.

 <>Please do not use our lists or our website to mine for email addresses for your own email blast.

When responding to an email on Fredslist or Promo, please use “reply” – not “reply all”.

In an effort to respect everyone’s email and keep from overloading, we apply a rule of 3 --- only 3 emails on any one thread.

When sending an email to Fredslist or Promo, be sure to send from the email you are registered with on the website. If not, you will get an email rejecting your posting. Also, if you did not receive an email saying it is being held for moderating, we did not receive your post.

Again, to recap on which email to use:
►To post to Fredslist Gotham Listserv (Mondays through Fridays) email to: fredslist at gothamnetworking.com <mailto:fredslist at gothamnetworking.com>.
►To post to Gotham Promo Listserv (Tuesday and Fridays only) email to: promo at gothamnetworking.com <mailto:promo at gothamnetworking.com>.

[We recommend putting both emails in your contacts or address book to avoid posting problems that result from typing the wrong email address.]

Fredslist

Use Fredslist for emails seeking help – advice, make a connection, get an internship or a job (for you or another). You can also use Fredslist for more personal social requests you may have such as restaurant recommendations, vetting a doctor or getting medical recommendations. Send your email to fredslist at gothamnetworking.com <mailto:fredslist at gothamnetworking.com>. (Respond directly to the sender.)

Use Fredslist to share job and internships opportunities you have or know of. Send your email to fredslist at gothamnetworking.com <mailto:fredslist at gothamnetworking.com>. (*Recruiters please see below)

GCs use Fredslist to share news of an upcoming Gotham meeting or Gotham event, or a recap of either. Send your email to fredslist at gothamnetworking.com <mailto:fredslist at gothamnetworking.com>.

Fredslist is also the perfect place to share a “thank you/ shout-out” to a Gotham member who has helped you or made a connection, or “report” how attending a Gotham meeting “helped” you. You can also offer congratulations to a member for a professional or personal achievement. (We do permit the occasional email bragging about your family too.) Send your email to fredslist at gothamnetworking.com <mailto:fredslist at gothamnetworking.com>. [Special note: when you share such kudos please consider sharing the contact info (email, phone, website, link to Gotham profile) of that worthy member.]

Please do not use Fredslist to promote your business. Our Promo listserv is available for you to promote your business and we encourage you to use it. Also, do not use Fredslist to promote the business of a non-member (please instead invite all of your friends to join); forward general information; engage in a conversation; talk about politics; or to engage in any communications that might be considered offensive to another.

Our best advice for a successful Fredslist post: keep your email short and direct and include a really good subject line.

Employment Recruiters:

 <>Staying in tune with the current job market and listings would be a huge benefit to the Gotham family. Now you can attract talent that is driven to work in all industries and be the best in their field by posting your job openings to Fredslist.

Recruiters will be allowed to post their job listings under the following guidelines.

All listings need to be sent to Fredslist on Wednesday mornings before 8:00 a.m. They will be posted that morning.

You may include a maximum of three (3) job opportunities in your post.

The substance of the listing should be: Job Title/Location and no more than a 25-word description.

The posts are not intended to be promos. We welcome you to continue to use the promo list for that purpose. Please understand if your post is considered to be too promotional, it will be rejected by the moderator.

Concerning requests to support Charities on Fredslist – MAD Mondays:

Gotham also seeks to encourage member interaction and charitable causes. Where you seek to share news of a charitable cause you support and seek support from others in Gotham, please follow these guidelines:
(1) Describe the charity, and the event;
(2) Please do not include links to sign up, RSVP, etc. or pricing;
(3) Make yourself the contact so that YOU will provide anyone who responds with interest or a request for more information;
 <>(4) So if a cause or charity honors someone in our tribe and you want to organize a table or two, please provide the honoree, date, place and time but no costs and to contact you for information.

Charitable emails may be posted only on MAD Mondays. That stands for “Make a Difference”. Please send your email to fredslist at gothamnetworking.com <mailto:fredslist at gothamnetworking.com> on Monday before 4:00 p.m. and include “MAD Monday” in the subject line.

A note of caution concerning investments/ investment opportunities:
Some people submit posts promoting an investment — explicitly promoting an investment is not permitted on Fredslist as it may pose a securities law issue.

Gotham does not let these kinds of submissions get posted. Please do not test us.

We would post a generic "looking for assistance in finding investors” in a general sense because this does not promote or make an offering of any investment directly.

That allows people who might have an interest to respond directly and take any discussion concerning investment off-list — where it belongs.

Promo

Want to share news about your business or service offerings, send your email to promo at gothamnetworking.com <mailto:promo at gothamnetworking.com> – on either Tuesday or Friday. Members may post one promotional email per week. Take the time to read the promos as they come in. They are not just strict promotions. Our members share terrific business advice and offer special deals for their fellow Gotham members. In fact, we think our best promo emails are those that share advice or information with us.

When sending emails to Promo, send only on Tuesday or Friday – not the day or night before – and be sure to send before 4:00 p.m. in order to ensure it gets posted.

[Last Updated 1.22.20]

Author, The Public Ought To Know <https://intelligentarts.net/the-public-ought-to-know/>, available on Kindle <http://tiny.cc/lt6wpx> and Nook <http://tiny.cc/wx6wpx> and Apple devices <https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/the-public-ought-to-know/id945807340?mt=11>