[Fredslist] A friend who needs help with a noise problem in Queens

Gail Goldstein Koelln gkoelln at gkgrantwriting.com
Tue Oct 2 15:29:38 EDT 2018

Fellow Gothamites,

I have a good friend who is a homeowner in Fresh Meadows, Queens, and has a synagogue located behind her house. She is having a terrible problem with noise from their A/C system and it’s so bad she and her husband are considering moving. Please read her message below and if anyone thinks they can help, please let me know.

Thanks,

Gail

I need your help.  The Utopia Jewish Center's Air conditioner is literally driving us insane.  They were issued a violation of the NYC Air/Noise code on 9/4  but still have not gotten appropriate repairs.  I have not been able to work in my garden since August.  On Saturday we bbq with noise cancelling head phones!!! I am seriously considering moving. The noise is throughout my house.  Nowhere to escape.   Do you know a lawyer or group that could help me.  I am NOT looking for pro bono work.  I am willing to pay anyone that could help me resolve this issue.  I have already started to document our health and mental issues dealing with this.  I understand that I can sue for interference with the use of my property.  I need to find the right person to help me.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Later today she sent me this email:

 I was told today by members of the congregation  that they have no intention of fixing the problem.  I spoke to Rory Lancman’s office and they will try to help me.  Apparently I have to escalate my complaints.  I filed another complaint with 311.  In any case, sad as it makes me feel. I think we have to move.

Her name is Mary Lou James and her email address is mlj at hudsontradingcorp.com.

Gail Koelln

President

GK Grant Writing