[Fredslist] Friend needs help

Joshua Zinder jzinder at joshuazinder.com
Sun May 6 21:44:43 EDT 2018

Gotham,
I have a dear friend who needs help please read the entire email to understand the situation.

She has been separated from her husband for 14 years (divorce was too expensive for them and neither had the energy to push for it and they felt it helped their son by maintaining a good relationship even though they lived apart separate finances and such)

About 4 months ago her husband had a major stroke and is incapacitated and in a special care facility.  She has watched over him and has arranged for all of the medical and Rehab.  Now she is in an untenable situation as he a former professor does not have the money to pay for his continuing care and as she is still married to him she is being told she needs to pay for all of his expenses.  She is being told the only way she can apply and or get any aid is if she liquidates her own IRA and her sons' college fund.  It will also make keeping her house very difficult.  She has a lawyer, but it seems the lawyer says this is the best she can do.

I don't know who this question is for I am just reaching for help.  She is a very close friend and means a lot to me.  She always goes above and beyond for everyone around her.  I hate to see her brought down financially by a choice that made sense 14 years back, wen she has worked so hard to give herself a little next egg.

Can anyone help her?

Thanks

Josh

Joshua Zinder, AIA, LEED AP, NCARB