[Fredslist] Looking for Some Gotham Magic

Anna Maria Vona dsgninwomn at aol.com
Wed Jan 24 13:38:09 EST 2018

Good day fellow Gothamites,

My sister, Tina DiFeliciantonio, together with her partner, Jane Wagner, live in Chelsea and run Naked Eye Productions, where they are award-winning documentary film writers, cinematographers, editors and producers.

For the better part of five years, Tina and Jane have traveled to the nethermost reaches of the world, interviewing victims of political torture and sharing their stories of survival and redemption.

Writing, filming and editing this remarkable film, "Seeking Refuge", has been an arduous task, but redeeming as well.

Please watch this inspiring (and adorable) short video that my sister made of one of the victims, Kadijatu, whose fervent wish is to meet Ellen DeGeneris (I like to say Ellen DeGenerous).

I’m positive that in the breadth of Gotham’s tribe, there has to be someone out there who can put Tina in touch with one of Ellen’s “people" so that Kadijatu's dream can be realized.

Here are my sister's words about Sierra Leone torture victim, Kadijatu:

Kadijatu is a huge, huge fan of Ellen.  She is also a survivor of foreign torture who escaped Sierra Leone’s bloody civil war after being held captive by rebel soldiers for two years.  Kadijatu was taken at gunpoint after witnessing the horror of seeing her entire family slaughtered in front of her home.

When we first met her eight years ago, Kadijatu was fixated on her past and had suicidal ideation.  Now she can dream and see a future ahead.  I just learned a few days ago that one of her dreams is meeting Ellen.  Kadijatu sees Ellen as someone who is tough and fun and inspirational and is someone she watches every day before going to sleep after returning from her night shift.

By any measure, Kadijatu has overcome a horrific past and is still on the journey to heal.  She was downright giddy when talking about Ellen – so much so that I took out my iPhone to record her feelings.

Besides dreaming of returning to Sierra Leone to help the orphans she left behind, Kadijatu dreams of meeting Ellen.

Please help us make her dream come true.

Here’s a Facebook link to video in which she talks about Ellen:

 https://www.facebook.com/tina.difeliciantonio/videos/10156012471763373/

You can also view a short (albeit unsettling) video of Kadijatu filmed years ago during a therapy session. Her slow and steady transition from 'victim' to victor is, in and of itself, an inspiration.

https://www.seekingrefugefilm.org/video

Anna Maria Vona l Carmana Designs, Ltd.
1715-19 McKean Street at Colorado
Philadelphia, PA 19145-2937