[Fredslist] Help for a friend - Labor law

Joshua Zinder jzinder at joshuazinder.com
Fri Jul 14 12:02:24 EDT 2017

Gotham,

I have been directed by my lawyers and advisors in the past that as an employer I could not have unpaid interns unless they were getting college credit for the work.  I have a friend of mine whose daughter is doing an internship please see her dilemma below:

Hi Josh,

My daughter Christina who is doing the internship for the D.C. School district has just found out that the school wants her to pay for the internship credits and the Internship is an unpaid position. I remember you and I talking g about the legality of having students work for no remuneration at all.  Is there any information you can give me with regard to what direction I might head to get this resolved?

Thanks,

Toni

Is there anyone out there that can advise on this?

Thanks

Josh

Joshua Zinder, AIA, LEED AP, NCARB
Principal