[Fredslist] Mediation Training-The New York Peace Institute

Rona Gura ronagura at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 2 10:56:22 EST 2016

 To My Gotham Friends- I had to share my new experience with you. I recentlydecided to take mediation training at the New York Peace Institute. And while Iexpected to walk into a stuffy classroom filled with lawyers, my experience wasexactly the opposite. My fellow trainees were a diverse group of professionalsincluding social workers, doctors, government workers, human resource employees, consultants, professorsas well as lawyers and who came to the training from as far away as Australia, Germany, Switzerland, Nevada, Alaska,upstate New York, and even New Jersey.  As for a formal classroom setting, this training wasanything but. Through a combination of humor, visual aids, videos, ice breakersand practical role playing, I absorbed the material in the most unintimidating andenjoyable manner possible.  And while I have not yet facilitated a mediation, I can honestly tellyou that I have used my new listening and questioning skills during two acrimonioussettlement conferences to elicit  issuesfrom the parties that they had not previously verbalized. Once those issueswere heard and addressed, the whole tone of the conferences changed and we wereable to swiftly resolve the remaining issues. In keeping with our Gotham mantra that, “it is better togive than receive,” The New York Peace Institute is a nonprofitorganization.  Mediators who take theirtraining and complete their apprenticeship program can volunteer their time andservices as mediators to New York City residents in Brooklyn or Manhattan. So, if you deal with conflict in your profession (and whoamongst us doesn’t), you are looking for  facilitation, dialogue, consensus building anddecision-making processes for your organization, or you are just looking for aworthwhile organization to donate your time or money check out The Peace Institute.I guarantee that you will be happy you did. Their web site ishttp://nypeace.org. Their next basic training session is April 6-10.
        Rona Gura
Breiter and Gura, LLP
377 Oak Street
Suite 201
Garden City, New York, 11530
P (516) 539-7900
F (516) 539-1095
Ronagura at yahoo.com
Rona at Breiterandgura.com

This message contains confidential information and is only intended for the individual(s) named.  If you are not the named addressee, you should not copy, disseminate or distribute this e-mail message.  Please notify the sender if you received this e-mail by mistake and please delete this e-mail from your system.  E-mail messages cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information can be intercepted, corrupted, lost or destroyed, arrive late or incomplete or contain viruses.  This sender does not accept any liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message which arise as a result of this e-mail transmission.