[Fredslist] Leaking skylight: Need a skylight fixer or a Manhattan attorney who can advocate for a coop shareholder

Phyllis Dubrow pdubrow at pipeline.com
Thu Jul 16 21:57:02 EDT 2015

Dear Gotham,

A friend of a client, a shareholder in a Manhattan coop, is on the verge of
a dispute with her coop board:

She's got a skylight -- installed by a prior owner -- that leaks.  The board
paid an engineer to inspect the whole building for leaks, and the
shareholder understood that her leak would be fixed.  It wasn't.

The shareholder asked the engineer for a copy of his report so that she
could understand the cause of her skylight leaking.  The engineer told her
she'd need approval by the property manager, and the property manager
declined to give approval.  The coop board's position is that they're not
responsible if her is skylight leaking.

Is there an attorney among us who can help the shareholder figure out what
her rights might be and what her options are?

OR: Can anyone recommend who to call when a skylight leaks?

Please send names and contact information to me and I'll pass it on.  She's
Japanese and her English is pretty good, but her confidence isn't 100%.

Thanks.

Phyllis E. Dubrow | Attorney at Law
60 East 42nd Street, Suite 4600 | New York NY  10165
T: (212) 661-2885 | F: (212) 409-8682 | E: pdubrow at pipeline.com