[Fredslist] Tax Prep Advice Needed

Bonnie Hagen Bonnie at brightenergyservices.com
Fri Aug 21 12:57:05 EDT 2015

Hi Gothamites,

I need information about Form 8888 allocation of tax refund (including saving bond purchases).

My understanding is that in 2012 the U.S. Treasury stopped selling paper bonds (E Bonds or I Bonds) because the banks didn't want to deal with the redemption of the bonds and the only way to buy bonds is online. There is no option to print these bonds or to get paper bonds of any sort unless you request your Federal tax refund (maximum of $5,000) on Form 8888.

Could any tax prep or finance professionals please let me know how to get a paper bond refund if you need to pay taxes. Paying a larger than necessary amount on estimated taxes isn't the answer because a penalty can be incurred if you over estimate your taxes. Also, if you manage to get a paper bond, how can it be redeemed?

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Bonnie Hagen, MBA, LEED AP+ O&M
Chief Operating Officer
Bright Energy Services
A Division of ALL HVAC Service Co., Inc.
www.brightenergyservices.com<http://www.brightenergyservices.com>
bonnie at brightenergyservices.com<mailto:bonnie at brightenergyservices.com>