[Fredslist] Great panel event on 3/13--Guns and America: Stopping the Violence without Fighting Each Other

Michael Weiner michael at AccuTutor.com
Fri Mar 7 08:55:18 EST 2014

Dear Tribe:

My university alumni organization is hosting a high-level panel about
America's gun culture next Thursday evening, March 13 at the law firm of
Simpson Thacher & Bartlett, with guests representing different points of
view about the subject. The panel will be moderated by a Duke Law professor
and will feature law professors from NYU and Fordham, a professor in Public
Policy from Duke, and the Senior Counsel of Mayor Bloomberg's organization
Mayors Against Illegal Guns.

Though there is a price of $50 for this event for non-Duke alums, the
quality of the panel and the cocktail reception to follow will make it well
worth it. If interested, register here
<https://secure.www.alumniconnections.com/olc/pub/DUKE/events/event_order.cg
i?tmpl=events&event=2361838> ; full details are below.

Event Details

Event Title:

DukeNY - Guns and America: Stopping the Violence without Fighting Each Other

Mar 13, 2014

Time:

6:30PM - 9:00PM ET

Location:

Simpson Thacher & Bartlett LLP | 425 Lexington Avenue | New York, NY 10017

Guns have been a part of American culture since the inception of our
country. And yet, more than a year after the lives of 20 children and 6
adults in our tri-state community were tragically cut short by a mass
shooting at their quiet elementary school in Newtown, CT, we continue to
hear almost daily about local and national tragedies involving guns:
shootings at schools, mass murders at malls and movie theaters, and
accidents in homes.

The heated debate about how to stop the violence grows louder, with many of
us choosing sides of an increasingly polarized debate-while concrete
solutions to the problem have yet to be identified and implemented.

DukeNY welcomes an esteemed panel of guests with different voices and points
of view, as they appear together to discuss proposed thoughts and solutions
in the areas of education, training, enforcement, regulation, innovations,
and more. Most importantly, they discuss how we can help bring an end to the
senseless loss of life-a goal we all share-without endlessly fighting each
other instead.

Schedule:
6:30 p.m. Arrival and registration
6:45 p.m. Panel discussion and Q&A
8:00 p.m. Continue the conversation, cocktail reception

Cost:
$25 2012 and 2013 alumni and current Duke students
$35 Duke alumni dues-payers
$50 Alumni non-dues payers and guests

Our featured speakers:

Moderator:
Christopher H. Schroeder P <http://law.duke.edu/fac/schroeder/> '06, P'07,
Charles S. Murphy Professor of Law and Public Policy Studies; Co-Director of
the Program in Public Law

Panelists:
Elizabeth Avore JD'06, Senior Counsel, Mayors Against Illegal Guns
<http://mayorsagainstillegalguns.org/html/about/about.shtml>
Philip J. Cook, P <http://fds.duke.edu/db/Sanford/cook> '92, ITT/Terry
Sanford Professor of Public Policy; Professor of Economics and Sociology and
Faculty Affiliate, Center for Child and Family Policy
James B. Jacobs
<https://its.law.nyu.edu/facultyprofiles/profile.cfm?section=bio&personID=20
016> , Chief Justice Warren E. Burger Professor of Constitutional Law and
the Courts, New York University School of Law; Director, Center for Research
in Crime and Justice
Nicholas Johnson <http://law.fordham.edu/faculty/nicholasjohnson.htm> ,
Professor of Law, Fordham University School of Law

Michael Weiner

AccuTutor

web:  <http://www.accututor.com/> AccuTutor.com

LinkedIn:  <http://www.linkedin.com/in/michaelcweiner> Michael Weiner

Facebook:  <http://www.facebook.com/AccuTutor> Facebook.com/AccuTutor

Personalized test prep and subject instruction

PC and Mac training/troubleshooting

(212) 452-1204 office

(917) 715-1032 cell

(866) 889-7963 toll-free fax