[Fredslist] When something precious is lost..... "Uncle Marvin" gave me something to smile about

Ester Horowitz witsowitz at verizon.net
Sun Jun 8 19:17:36 EDT 2014

I have two engagement rings and a wedding band.  The first engagement ring
was a cocktail ring I got 27 years ago. It was what we could afford at the
time.  The second engagement ring was a traditional engagement ring I
received about 7 years later.  The wedding band is a mixture of my husband's
mother's and grandmother's diamonds with mine and  it was redesigned to fit
the second engagement ring.  I wear these rings everyday and never wore
others.  I take them off every night and put them on my night table.  At the
end of this month, it will be my 25th wedding anniversary.

Nine days ago I did exactly what I do every day upon going to sleep.  I take
my rings and put them on my night table.  The rings are no where to be
found.  They are seriously lost.  There were no people in my home that would
take them.  There is no rhyme or reason as to why three rings would suddenly
disappear and all together.   But they are gone.  When the realization that
I may never see those rings again began to materialize last Monday you can
image my heart break. Especially because of the history, the connection to
the past, present, and opportunity for the future.  I know ultimately that
jewelery are just things. That in comparison I have my good health, my
relationships, my family and meaningful work  and certainly I can't take the
rings with me to heaven either.  But still it is heart breaking.

My daughter Stephanie, the "old sole" of the family, stated that sometimes
we need to let go of something precious so that we can be greatful for new
opportunities that will come our way before we even know what it is.  It's
been very odd not having the rings on my fingers.  I feel naked without
them.  I have been wearing rings since I'm 10 years old.

My parents left behind some jewlery one of which was a necklace many have
seen me wear over the past three years since my Mother's passing.  It is her
engagement ring set upon my Father's wedding band that was melted down. She
create it after my Father's passing.   I began to explore the possibility
that there was another choice that I would never have considered before.   I
reached out to Marvin Soskil of Brett Harrison Jewelers,  one of our Gotham
family jewelers.  I told him how heart broken I was and we arranged to meet.
I then set out to do some homework about the idea of using my parents stones
and a necklace that my husband gave me some years ago.  Could it be possible
to create the spirit of my rings with a modern twist as a celebration of 25
years of marriage as well as honoring the loved ones past and present,  that
brought us to this point? My Mother's engagement ring is also my
Grandmother's engagement ring. (100+ years).  Something that I can connect
to my future through my daughters or grandchildren?

So as part of preparing to meet Marvin, I checked out rings, tried some on,
and got some prices. The conversations led me to understand that what I
wanted to do might not work according to the people I spoke to and the cost
was not something I could not accomplish immediately.   However, my husband
and I had faith in Marivn Soskil and we reminded ourselves that it was
homework so that we could be prepared to collaborate with Marvin when we saw
him.  I must admit I went in with a bit of trepidation after hearing other
"experts" tell me it wasn't going to be possible in the parameters I hoped.

I brought my other daughter Alissa to met Marvin yesterday as part of our
appointment.  Since she is dating someone that she intends to marry,  I
wanted her to see first hand what a consumate professional in the jewelery
business was like that was also a man of great integrity. We are fortunate
to have several jewelers in the Gotham family like that.  "Uncle Marvin" as
he has become affectionately branded and for good reason, not only lived up
to what I wanted Alissa to experience and understand,  "Uncle Marvin" blew
me away.

Where others were instructing us about the limitations I would have and the
amount of  money it would cost for something that wasn't exactly what I
wanted, Marvin gave me everything I wanted and not a single penny needed to
be spent.  To say I was SHOCK!!!!!!!!. Is an understatement.    Marvin even
wins in this situation.  I won't tell you how because you need to learn how
wonderful Marvin is by utilizing him yourself.  The best part is that I got
two rings in the shapes and styles I wanted.  I also got a necklace
redesigned that I can now wear all the time.

Additionally he took the time to teach Alissa about engagement rings and the
use of my mother's original engagement ring band.  He spent considerable
time with us.  My husband didn't believe it and queried Marvin how he could
do it.  (He's a finance guy).  Marvin was gracious about the inquiry willing
to explain that he would not be hurt in any way and how so that my husband
would be reassureed that everyone won in this situation.  I love and prize
opportunities where everyone wins!!! Don't you?

We are having our Summer Cocktail Party.  I won't be wearing any rings nor
the necklace I inherited from my Mom at the party.  But I will be wearing
the biggest grin on my face because Gotham has some of the finest people we
know not only in business but in life.   Marvin is deeply involved in
advancing ethics and integrity.  He even designed a symbol based upon a
personal experience that represents ethics and integrity much like the pink
ribbon represents breast cancer.   He does a tremendous amount of charitable
work.

I am not only looking forward to obtaining  a new set of rings and a
redesigned necklace, but I am also someone that works in a field involving
ethics and integrity.  My "old sole" is right.  While I will still mourn the
loss of something precious that was also economically valuable.  In this
experience I gained more than just repurposed jewels. I gained someone and
something that can change the course of lives and affect future generations.
That is the stuff I love most.  That is what puts a smile on my face.
Marvin put it there.  And every person in Gotham like Marvin puts it there.

Warmest Regards

Ester Horowitz

516 318-8655