[Fredslist] expert advice and guidance for college-bound kids

Stuart Kamen stu_kamen at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 31 12:54:10 EST 2014

Hello, Team Gotham,

Earlier this week, my wife and I had the opportunity to attend a talk given by Gotham's own Abby Siegel, college entrance consultant extraordinaire. She spoke at a library a few towns over from me in Suffolk County, LI. The session was originally scheduled the previous week, but due to a snowstorm, it was moved. I want you to know that it was well worth the wait!

The subject of the evening dealt with advice for parents and high-schoolers about how to best choose a college and safely navigate the application process. Abby covered such topics as how to select the types of schools to apply for, entrance requirements and standardized testing, campus visits (pre-visit prep and post-visit followup), applications themselves, the interview process ... and a lot more.

Having been a guidance counselor for more than 15 years, Abby clearly knows her stuff. She's visited campuses around the nation so, in a way, she's like an "advanced scout" who can guide you by imparting her experiences.

She is knowledgeable, very passionate and highly entertaining. I
learned a lot in the short time we had that evening and I'm sure we'll benefit from the personal, hands-on assistance Abby will offer us as my daughter (now a HS sophomore) dives into this process in the coming months.

If you have college-bound kids, I highly recommend that you check in with Abby as you begin to move forward with the exploration and application process.

(BTW, her website is www.abbysiegel.com)

-Stu Kamen
Mobile: 516.551.2900