[Fredslist] a synagogue in need

Joshua Zinder jzinder at joshuazinder.com
Wed Jan 22 21:55:55 EST 2014

Gotham,
I have begun working with a Synagogue in Brooklyn that is in dire need of help.  Its eastern wall collapsed about year and a half ago and despite their best efforts, they have been unable to raise enough funds and are not savvy in political or fundraising circles.

I have been told that Michael Bloomberg's philanthropy arm gives to Jewish organizations and causes.  Anyone have connections?

The synagogue is a wonderful congregation - they manage to give to many other groups when they have almost nothing.  They are a African American congregation and have a rich history behind them.  The building was originally built in the early 1700's as Trinity Church, it then became a synagogue in the mid 1800's, and in 1960's Bnai Adath Kol Beth Yisrael took it over.  They have applied for historic grants all of which will be less than they really need and they are always a day away from someone trying to take the building out from under them or someone saying the building should be condemned.

Their Rabbi is a dynamic, interesting individual - I would describe him as what Cory Booker would be like if he was a rabbi.

So Gotham any thoughts????? Any help?

Thanks,

Josh

Joshua Zinder, AIA, LEED AP, NCARB