[Fredslist] Gotham Book Club 2/26 (slavery in NY)

Fred Klein FKlein at kleinzelman.com
Sat Jan 18 07:08:51 EST 2014

Have you seen 12 Years A Slave?  It well might win the Academy Award for Best Picture of the most disturbing kind. Equally disturbing was an article in yesterday's Times: When Slavery and Its Foes Thrived on Brooklyn (Weekend Arts II, C31) from which I learned that before the Revolution Brooklyn had more slaves than any American city other than Charleston, S.C. and in 1790 a third of Brooklyn's population was black and nearly all those were enslaved. There is more.

That takes us to our Book Club selection about a 300 year Shelter Island Plantation. Please see the details below and join us in reading the book and discussion with the author. Thanks.

Sent from
 my iPhone Fred

Begin forwarded message: