[Fredslist] The death of Robin Williams

Janet Sullivan jansull at msn.com
Tue Aug 12 15:21:41 EDT 2014

Dear Gotham friends:
The death of a great talent is just one more reminder that untreated depression can and does sometimes lead to suicide.Suicide is not a moral choice but part of a serious illness which, at its worst, makes suicide a seductive choice.  In such a state, someone MUST be hospitalized for their own safety.   Depression may be the most common or close to the most common serious illness in our country and the world.
So, for all of us, if we know someone is severely depressed and potentially suicidal we must help them hospitalize themselves till that overwhelming impulse happens or involve their family in insisting on hospitalization.
Regretfully,
Janet SullivanHealth Care and Aging GroupNY State Licensed Psychoanalyst and Music Therapist