[Fredslist] how did you spend your Sunday?

Joshua Zinder jzinder at joshuazinder.com
Mon Aug 4 11:14:08 EDT 2014

Gotham,
I woke up yesterday around 6 am to the sound of pouring rain.  To many this would have been a game changer and they would have crawled back into bed, for me it brought a big smile to my face.  Although touring the highline in the rain can present some challenges it has the added benefit of reducing the number of visitors to the high line and make my tour go smoother with to having to battle the crowds.  So when I arrived at 5 to 9 with a slight misty drizzle I felt all was in hand.  For those of you who bailed on the first tour keep this in mind next time :). After my short introduction below highline we emerged onto a virtually empty highline with a progressively clearing weather pattern.  As luck would have it the early morning weather kept the larger crowds away and the second tour was great too.  Afterward my sister (who was supposed to join us at 9 but showed up for the 11 tour...I guess she got sibling dispensation) and I walked back up the length of the highline one more time to get those ice cream sandwiches I  am so fond of, this time weaving through the crowds.......it was a great day!

In the 4 years I have been doing the Gotham highline tour it is amazing to see how much the neighborhoods and highline itself has changed the art, the views, and certainly the number of people (over 10 million visitors last year).  In the fall the 3rd and final phase of the highline is expected to open, and here are at least a dozen new buildings under construction so there are many exciting things going on.

One trivia note: For those of you who are on a 10,000 step kick, here is a bit of information the highline(phase 1 and 2) is approx. 3334 steps long so if you walk its length 3 times it meets your 10,000 step goal and along the way you can watch the city change.

Thank you Shelly for GCing the tour YOU ARE THE BEST! Thank you everyone who joined me I hope you enjoyed the tours as much as I enjoy giving them.  If you did not make it I hope to see you in the fall  for the next one.

All the best,

Josh

Joshua Zinder, AIA, LEED AP, NCARB
Principal