[Fredslist] Friars Club

ritasue at ritasue.com ritasue at ritasue.com
Sat Sep 14 12:53:36 EDT 2013

The Friars Club is not yet a landmark. Read the article again. It says that the building is going to come up before the LPC (Landmarks Preservation Commission), not that it has been designated. Also, before designation, a representative of the LPC will either write to make an appointment with the person who is the spokesperson or COO of the Club to explain what designation means, the advantages and disadvantages, and he or she will be invited to the hearing to protest or give the stamp of approval to designation, should it be forthcoming.

I am the head of the Landmarks Committee and a board member of an organization, the West 54-55 Street Block Association, incorporating West 56 Street, and we have achieved landmark status for 5 buildings in our neighborhood so far.  Community Board 5 would not endorse our recommendation that the Donnell Library be considered for landmarking (after we found it had been sold in secret), and we now have a huge condo (50+stories?) in its place with a tiny library promised for the basement.  This is why none of us would vote for Christine Quinn. It’s a long story.

RS

RitaSue Siegel | President | IDSA, AIGA, DMI, AIA |
RitaSue Siegel Resources | ritasue at ritasue.com
PO Box 845 | NY 10150 | mobile 917 806 3947 |
Skype RitaSueSiegel | Free | Getting a Design Job | http://www.ritasue.com/downloads/Get_a_Design_Job_2008.pdf
IDSA Award | http://www.idsa.org/ritasue-siegel-resources