[Fredslist] Atty with Publishing Expertise needed

Tessa Marquis tmarquis at newstandardinstitute.com
Thu Oct 10 17:19:18 EDT 2013

A very good -lifelong- friend needs an attorney skilled at Literary
Contracts.
This is not for a novel.

A major US publisher is sending a contract for the book profiled below, and
I want to make sure my friend is not totally screwed. I see some holes in
the offer already and am concerned he retain all copyrights and
opportunities to reprint portions, etc.

So far the offer is as follows:

.         Advance: $12,500, payable half on signing and half on acceptance
of the manuscript by production

.         HC Royalty, on net receipts: 15% to 5,000 copies; 17.5% on 5,000
to 10,000 copies; 20% thereafter

.         Paperback royalty: 10% net receipts

.         E-book royalty: 25% net receipts

.         Export copies: 10% net receipts

.         50 / 50 split on translation licenses

.         World rights

.         6x9 hardcover priced at $30.00

My friend - an American citizen - is based in Toronto. You may contact him
directly using the mysterious secret handshake and passwords "Tessa sent me"

Jacob Stoller
jacob at stollerstrategies.com
416-203-0200
 <http://conversationbuilders.com/> conversationbuilders.com

Thank you for any assistance in this matter. Perhaps he will spearhead
Gotham Canada!

Tessa Marquis
Member, Gotham New Haven
Group Coordinator, Connecticut Dinner Group

 <http://www.newstandardinstitute.com/> New Standard Institute, Inc.

Specializing in Electrical & Mechanical Skills and Maintenance Management
training.
"Training that Works.for People who Work"

84 Broad Street  |  Milford, CT 06460  |  USA
203.783.1582 x101
 <mailto:tmarquis at newstandardinstitute.com>
tmarquis at newstandardinstitute.com

=======================================

Lean CEOs: Building world-class organizations, one step at a time

One of the most exciting advances in modern business history has been the
emergence of a global lean movement based on the methods that vaulted Japan
to manufacturing stardom in the 1980s.  Lean CEOs presents this story
through narratives of CEOs whose organizations have embraced the lean
approach.  This is not just an introduction to lean, but a detailed account
of how top executives have reconciled lean activity with traditional
management practices in order to meet widely-pursued corporate objectives.

The CEOs featured in Lean CEOs, who represent companies like Chrysler,
Herman Miller, Bosch, and Thedacare, bring a frank new perspective to the
lean conversation.  They have had to learn, often the hard way, how to talk
about lean with their shareholders, their financial officers, their
employees, and their business partners.  In their narratives, they reveal
how they have broken the barriers that are stalling lean initiatives in
thousands of organizations.

Lean has enormous potential to help organizations eliminate waste, reduce
costs, spark innovation, improve quality and delivery, engage employees, and
build a sustainable future. Lean CEOs will help remove the barriers that are
preventing serious executive discussion of this important opportunity.