[Fredslist] A question for a cook

Joshua Zinder jzinder at joshuazinder.com
Wed Nov 27 16:22:52 EST 2013

Happy thanksginingKAH!!!
I have to say that we brine a 20 pound turkey every year and it is the juiciest turkey you will ever have....EVER!  I have had fried those are good too but you can't do that in your house and it is too cold outside so brine it.  it will take about 2 hours to cook after that....here is the brine recipe we use

This is a basic brine recipe, some people add fresh herbs, apple cider, or spices, depending on taste

Make a basic brine: In a 6-qt. or larger pot, combine the 1 cup kosher salt, 1/4 cup sugar, and 2 qt. cool water. Put the pot over high heat and stir occasionally until the salt and sugar dissolve. Remove from the heat and let cool.  You do not want the water to be hot when you add the turkey as it will cook instead of brining.  Put the turkey in a pot or large container (we put it in a clean plastic trash can and add 3 new garbage bags as liners)  pour half of the mixture into the container first and then add the turkey pour the rest over the turkey.  Stir in another 2 qt. water and ice and chill in the refrigerator. (or we put it in the garage with a heavy cover on top).  You want to do this 24hours before roast it or a bit more.  It will be the juiciest turkey you can imagine.  After you take it out prepare it however you want try drain off the salt water if before you dress (we use a cranberry glaze) and cook.
Good luck!!

Joshua Zinder, AIA, LEED AP, NCARB
Principal

JZA+D