[Fredslist] Raj's Privacy Rights Update - 2 down, 4 to go

Raj Goel, CISSP raj at brainlink.com
Tue Mar 19 12:23:14 EDT 2013

Gothamites,

      There are several cases, activities, and laws in the pipeline
that I think you should be aware of:

On the GOOD NEWS Front:

1) Federal Judge Susan Illston finds National Security Letters to be
completely unconstitutional!
http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2013/03/nsl-found-unconstitutional/

2) Supreme Court upholds the FIRST SALE Doctorine
http://www.salon.com/2013/03/19/court_sides_with_student_in_case_over_textbooks/singleton/

CASES & LAWS YOU SHOULD WATCH OUT FOR:

3) Cops and Law Enforcement want your cell phone carriers to keep ALL
your texts
This is a BAD idea - we're supposed to be innocent until proven guilty
- not the other way around.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-57575039-38/cops-u.s-law-should-require-logs-of-your-text-messages/

4) Britain's new press law could muzzle voices
Proof that short-sighted stupidity isn't limited to the US Congress,
the UK Parliament is considering a new bill that would require
writers, bloggers, tweeters, etc to register as Press or face
extraordinary damages
http://boingboing.net/2013/03/19/more-on-the-impact-of-uk-press.html

5) CISPA - the bill that will not die is back...again
Last year, privacy rights activists, large tech companies and a broad
coalition defeated CISPA...or so we thought.
This really, really bad bill, sponsored by the media companies (Sony,
Disney, Hollywood) is designed to undermine our civil and social
rights for the sake of their profits.
It's the horse-and-buggy manufacturers trying to outlaw cars
http://www.whistleblower.org/blog/44-2013/2589-stop-cispa-qweek-of-actionq-begins-today-what-you-can-do

6) Federal Student Database
Our kids have fewer rights and less legal protections that
inmates...consider that for a moment
With funding from Gates Foundation, Rupert Murdoch and others, a
variety of companies are compiling a comprehensive, and invasive
database of school students.
And if your child is in special education or has special needs, be
VERY, VERY concerned.
The US Dept of Education has changed their understanding of FERPA and
is not allowing private companies access to school data.
http://educationviews.org/federal-database-of-private-student-info/

--Raj

Rajesh Goel, CISSP
cell (917) 685-7731
CTO: Brainlink International, Inc.
raj at brainlink.com
www.brainlink.com
www.linkedin.com/in/rajgoel
www.rajgoel.com

You run your business, and leave the IT to us.

Author of "The Most Important Secrets To Getting Great Results From
IT"